Homemade Windshield Wash

When making the windshield wash fluid is there something I can put in it to make rain drops roll of like Rain-X?

You need a little silicone oil in the mixture. Here is a recipe. itstillruns.com/homemade-windshield-water-repellent...

I know there are lots of great recipes online, but when I talked to my mechanic about this a while back, he strongly recommended NOT making any kind of homemade windshield fluid EVER.

I wanted to do it to save money and because I learned about the the dangerous chemicals in them (super bad for people and the environment.

He said that he has seen the homemade kind freeze up in the winter and crack the thing that holds the fluid and that is a big expense to repair it. He also saw people who had the stuff FREEZE on their windshield in the winter and cause accidents because they could not see when it flash froze.

That one scared me really bad.

I trust him implicitly so when he gave me this lecture, the store kind won.

I am still not happy about the chemicals so I just learned to use the stuff very sparingly.

I clean my wiping my windows with a clean rag and water if I see it is dirty before leaving home. That doesn't help when I am driving and need it, so I only give it one squirt, do not hold it down and spray. Usually that does the trick. If not, I give it one more quick squirt.

Just my 2 cents worth...safety first for me and cars...I drive an 11 year old car and I need it to last another 11 or more years...so I made this compromise! Thanks for listening!