Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid

Will adding Dawn dishsoap to the windshield washer fluid help cut the winter grime from windshield? How much do you add?

By Papa from Blackstone, MA

I would not add any Dawn dish washing soap to the windshield fluid. First you will get a lot of bubbles and soap film. Second, there will be a build up of soap scum in the small hoses that run from the fluid reservoir and then the washes will not work until the hoses have been replaced. You don't need to add alcohol as the washer fluid is a combination of water and alcohol. If you want to clean the windshield with Dawn mix some up in a pail with water and use a squeegee by hand.

Anonymous

I DISAGREE!!! AS LONG AS YOU ONLY USE A TINY AMOUNT OF DAWN IT WILL NOT CAUSE ANY PROBLEMS! I USE IT ALL OF THE TIME IN MY OWN VEHICLES' WINDSHIELD WASHER/WIPER FLUID. I MAKE MY OWN WINDSHIELD FLUID AND HAVE USED THIS IN ALL MY VEHICLES FOR YEARS! FOR 2 GALLONS OF WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID I USE 2 CUPS OF RUBBING ALCOHOL , 2 CUPS WHITE VINEGAR AND 1/4 TEASPOON OF BLUE DAWN DISH LIQUID ADD WATER TO THIS MIXTURE TO MAKE 2 GALLONS.

I LIVE IN NORTH CAROLINA AND WE DON'T HAVE A LOT OF SNOW AND ICE. IF YOU DO LIVE IN AN AREA WHERE SNOW AND ICE IS AN ISSUE YOU CAN SUBSTITUTE THE CHEAPEST VODKA AVAILABLE FOR THE RUBBING ALCOHOL OR YOU CAN JUST ADD A CUP OR SO OF CHEAP VODKA TO THE BASE RECIPE.
I DON'T HAVE ANY SOAP SCUM BUILD UP IN MY WINDSHIELD WASH FLUID CONTAINER. THE ALCOHOL AND THE VINEGAR PREVENT THAT HOWEVER I NEVER USE ENOUGH DAWN LIQUID DETERGENT TO CAUSE SUCH AND ISSUE!

I agree, do not add dish detergent to you windshield fluid! You could damage a lot of parts and end up costing more than a lifetime worth of buying windshield fluid! Buy yourself a squeegee like they have at the gas station, and just clean your windows periodically.

If you are out driving, and the car is warm, just toss some clean snow on the windshield before you get out, run the wipers, and that helps, too.

Be sure to clean the wiper blades themselves to get a nice clean windshield.

Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply RecipesJanuary 31, 2011
🍀
💘