Honey Baked Ham Recipes

Honey baked ham is a favorite holiday dinner for many and it's easy to make at home. This page contains recipes for honey baked ham.

My family loves the official golden wrapped Honey Baked Ham that is very famous. Well, I just don't have a golden wrapped Honey Baked budget! This year, I scored a huge ham for under $5 and honey'd it up myself. Here is how to turn a store bought cooked ham into a Honey Baked Ham.

Honey Baked Ham on dinner plate

I found this online a few years ago and have yet to make it but am hoping someone else can use it in light of the upcoming holidays!

Andie's Original Recipe for WPOPFHBH* Ham (*Why Pay Outrageous Prices For Honey Baked Ham)

By Andie Paysinger

"Following is the ham recipe I developed originally for cooking "dry-cured" hams from my family's farm in Kentucky. These are usually quite salty as they are pre-cured in a barrel of salt before being hung in the smoke house. People in the south like saltier ham than folks out here so I experimented until I discovered this way of cooking them which actually extracts a lot of the salt. Then I discovered that very cheap store hams also come out nicely flavored when cooked this way. I always warn people to keep the heat low and the time long - as one doesn't get the same results with more heat and less time. I have cooked this for a lot of people and told quite a few people who have used this method and have yet to find anyone who has not found this to be just about the best ham ever."

This recipe (or cooking method) works really well with the absolute cheapest bone-in ham, the holiday "Loss Leaders" at 49, 59, cents a pound, sometimes less. DON'T GET THE SHANK END

For a 12 to 15 pound ham you will NEED the following:

Directions:

1. Trim any skin off the ham but leave some of the fat, - less than 1/4 inch thickness. Score the fat down to the meat in a diamond or tic-tac-toe pattern, your choice.

2. Take the ice pick and stab the ham all over, and I mean many, many stabs.. Use up some of your latent aggression.

3. Take the dry mustard and massage it into the ham. If you must, stick whole cloves into the ham, as many as you want.

4. Put the ham in the pot. Pour in the maple syrup until it comes up at least 1/2 way on the ham, a little more won't hurt, it won't be going to waste.

5. Place the ham in a COLD oven and turn the temp control to 300 degrees F. Set timer for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes reduce heat to 250. and turn the ham over in the syrup.

6. Continue cooking for 3 hours for a 12 pound ham, add 30 minutes for each 2 pounds over that, turning the ham every 30 minutes. This is a long, slow method that will have remarkable results.

7. At the end of the baking time, remove ham from pot, allow to drain on a rack for 20 minutes then slice.

Most of the salt in the ham will have been extracted through the stab wounds and the meat will have absorbed some of the maple flavor from the syrup.

When the liquid left in the pot has cooled, strain it through a coffee filter and freeze it, you can use it two more times. After that, it loses a bit of flavor or becomes too salty.

Recommended By ~Kayla~ "homeschoolin_mum"

Food and Recipes Recipes Meats HamAugust 1, 2018
🎄
🍂