Honey Bees and Hummingbird Feeders

We have honey bees in our hummingbird feeders. We have the feeders with the red flowers which someone suggested would keep bees and yellow jackets away, but it doesn't work. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

By clyde n

Best Answer

They sell little caps for the feeders that don't allow the bees or wasps to penetrate the water. I bought a set of them for just a few dollars at the Backyard Bird Shop here in Portland.

What does the caps look like

Best Answer

We had 19 feeders, and 15 hummingbirds that enjoyed them every day for years, and when the bees came, every single hummingbird left within a few days. We then bought the feeders with the bee guards on them, and those don't work for nothing! Finally, we bought what they call Flat Feeders, and those WORK.

The bees absolutely cannot, at all, get to the juice and the bees will continue checking to see if they can for a day or two, then they'll leave as they see there's nothing there for them.

What's a flat feeder? I have yellow jackets

What is a flat feeder and where did u get them?

What do the Flat Feeders look like? I just looked on Amazon and don't see them. Any help would be so appreciated

Best Answer

I believe this type of feeder is referred to as a flat feeder.

When you say flat feeders what do they look like.can you send pic thanks

I have a flat feeder with no yellow in it. The bees Still cover the entire hummingbird feeder

What exactly is a flat feeder. I also get bees.

Absolutely works. I have thrown out a dozen "cute" feeders because I could not keep the wasps away. I now have 2 of the flat feeders. Not only keeps the wasps away, but are very easy to take apart and clean.

Thank you very much!! I have 11 feeders because I have so many hummingbirds but they All seem to be taking over by bees!! So upsetting because I love my hummingbirds and don't want them to leave.. I'm going out now and buying the round flat basins you suggested! I truly hope this helps my little cuties to come back! Thanks again for the tip! I will keep you posted!

A flat feeder is any hummingbird feeder with the port holes facing upwards to the sky.

If the port holes do not face "the sky" pointing straight upwards, then the nectar/sugar water will drip when it's warm outside and the bees will gather on the feeders.

Yes, that's exactly what is referred to as a flat feeder.

It's actually any feeder that the holes/ports where the
birds drink from, that they're facing the sky (upwards).

Any feeder holes that face sideways will pool or drip,
and the bees can get to the nectar.

Yes, that's what so many refer to as a "Flat Feeder", as the port holes from where they drink are basically facing upwards, towards

the sky, and they cannot drip whatsoever, which work absolutely perfectly to keep bees from eating anything, because they can't reach down into the holes for the "juice". Only the Hummingbirds with their long bills can drink with these flat feeders. It's really the only way to keep bees and wasps away if they do come to your yard where your feeders are.

Anonymous

All our hummingbird feeders are the flat/dish style, and not only do the yellow jackets get all over the feeders (which are pristine clean)... some even get inside.

Wasps aren't shaped like bees so can easily get inside and into the nectar. I ordered the bee guards, so we'll see. Sick to death of wasps, I'll tell ya.

I have 10 feeders out....we have a ton of hummingbirds. Now the honey bees showed up (for the past four years). A family in our neighborhood has hives. We can't even sit on our deck. There are hundreds of them. All my feeders have bee guards...they do not work. I have one Oriole feeder. The bees also love this feeder...they fall in the holes, float to the top and die. How do we get rid of honey bees from out feeders.

Use PIC wasp traps with a solution of apple juice spiked with a couple of tablespoons of sugar and a dash of apple cider vinegar, which seems to mimic the fermentation of fallen apples. Add a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid as a surfactant so wasps hitting the surface sink. Use a Q tip to coat the entrance holes with the mixture, do this before adding the Dishwashing liquid. Use the other end of the Q tip dipped in sugar and coat the farthest end of the entrance holes to entice the wasps into the trap.

Hang the traps adjacent to your hummingbird feeders. I have been battling this problem for years and this is the best solution I have found. The PIC traps are only around $5 and last forever and can be ordered from Home Depot. Regardless of which traps you use, try the above solution and don't forget to coat the entrance to the trap with solution and sugar.

After trying many unsuccessful remedies, we've found that a light dusting of food-grade diatomaceous earth stops bees and related insects cold, but doesn't bother hummingbirds. Re-dust after rain when insects return.

Those are generally yellow jackets. I like the feeders I have as they are wide mouthed and easy to clean. 2016 seemed to be yellow jacket year and I tried everything but I'm keeping those feeders, come hell or high water! Feeder holes are too big so on back side I filled half of the hole with hot glue. Too small for yellow jackets to enter but the hummers can easily get their tongue into the hole. Problem solved, had to share!