Honey Bees and Hummingbird Feeders

We have honey bees in our hummingbird feeders. We have the feeders with the red flowers which someone suggested would keep bees and yellow jackets away, but it doesn't work. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

By clyde n

Best Answer

They sell little caps for the feeders that don't allow the bees or wasps to penetrate the water. I bought a set of them for just a few dollars at the Backyard Bird Shop here in Portland.

What does the caps look like

The bees dont seem to mind the yellow plastic bee caps and still come to swarm

Best Answer

We had 19 feeders, and 15 hummingbirds that enjoyed them every day for years, and when the bees came, every single hummingbird left within a few days. We then bought the feeders with the bee guards on them, and those don't work for nothing!

Finally, we bought what they call Flat Feeders, and those WORK. The bees absolutely cannot, at all, get to the juice and the bees will continue checking to see if they can for a day or two, then they'll leave as they see there's nothing there for them.

What's a flat feeder? I have yellow jackets

What is a flat feeder and where did u get them?

What do the Flat Feeders look like? I just looked on Amazon and don't see them. Any help would be so appreciated

Best Answer

I believe this type of feeder is referred to as a flat feeder.

When you say flat feeders what do they look like.can you send pic thanks

I have a flat feeder with no yellow in it. The bees Still cover the entire hummingbird feeder

What exactly is a flat feeder. I also get bees.

Absolutely works. I have thrown out a dozen "cute" feeders because I could not keep the wasps away.

I now have 2 of the flat feeders. Not only keeps the wasps away, but are very easy to take apart and clean.

Thank you very much!! I have 11 feeders because I have so many hummingbirds but they All seem to be taking over by bees!! So upsetting because I love my hummingbirds and don't want them to leave.. I'm going out now and buying the round flat basins you suggested! I truly hope this helps my little cuties to come back! Thanks again for the tip! I will keep you posted!

A flat feeder is any hummingbird feeder with the port holes facing upwards to the sky.

If the port holes do not face "the sky" pointing straight upwards, then the nectar/sugar water will drip when it's warm outside and the bees will gather on the feeders.

Yes, that's exactly what is referred to as a flat feeder.

It's actually any feeder that the holes/ports where the

birds drink from, that they're facing the sky (upwards).

Any feeder holes that face sideways will pool or drip,
and the bees can get to the nectar.

Yes, that's what so many refer to as a "Flat Feeder", as the port holes from where they drink are basically facing upwards, towards
the sky, and they cannot drip whatsoever, which work absolutely perfectly to keep bees from eating anything, because they can't reach down into the holes for the "juice". Only the Hummingbirds with their long bills can drink with these flat feeders. It's really the only way to keep bees and wasps away if they do come to your yard where your feeders are.

Anonymous

All our hummingbird feeders are the flat/dish style, and not only do the yellow jackets get all over the feeders (which are pristine clean)... some even get inside.

Wasps aren't shaped like bees so can easily get inside and into the nectar. I ordered the bee guards, so we'll see. Sick to death of wasps, I'll tell ya.

Anonymous

Sounds the one that works. Thanks!

I currently have 2 flat feeders and the bees still have found ways to enjoy their new perch and little bits of nectar. Im so bummed, as we have the neatest hummingbirds. I even took them away for 2 days; but the bees have come back. Those smart little guys! I do not have a shady spot for the feeders and now Im out of ideas.

I have one of these,it works wonderful no ants or bees,wasp,planning on getting more I wrap fake red flowers around the wire

SPRAY FEEDER WITH 1 OZ DAWN MIXED WTH WATER. BEES LEFT, THEY WERE WILD MAD FOR A FEW MINUTES ANB THEN LEFT. RESRAY AFTER RAIN.

I use a q tip with peppermint extract and slather the peppermint on the top of the flat feeder. Works like a charm. No bees.

I bought 3 of the flat feeders to replace my traditional, the bees in west central Texas love these flat feeders. Will try placing them in the shade and adding other plants.

Anonymous

The picture of the "flat feeder" is what we use. Haven't seen any bees, but wasps still hang aren't it.

If, or since you have wasps that are still getting into your hummingbird feeder (port holes) to get to the nectar, then the port holes need to be made smaller, and it's easy to do other than buying new feeders with smaller feeding holes/ports.

I know I've got every kind of hummingbird feeder out there, I think, and you're right, some holes are HUGE where other critters can crawl down into them.

I took what's called "plastic canvas", if you're familiar with that?

I'll post a picture.

I don't know what happened to the last part of my post, sorry.

I'll continue with "how to use the plastic canvas".

Cut a small square from the corner of your "plastic canvas" and glue gun that over the feeder port hole to where only "one small open square hole" is over the feeder port hole. Gosh, I hope that makes sense.

This way, you're making the "port holes smaller" and only a gnat might be able to make it's way in the feeder now and then. The hummingbirds can still eat, with their long tongues reaching through the square hole, and everyone is happy, no wasps anymore.

If this doesn't make sense, please let me know, and I'll get a picture of one of mine that I'd done that to, because I had a feeder that the holes were so large I could of drank from it, hehehe I'm kidding, but serious about the "plastic canvas". :)

Yes, that's what many and myself, refer to as: Flat Feeders.

See how the port holes face UP, and not to the side?
Nothing can drip ever from these.

Now, if the holes are too big, use 'plastic canvas' over top of the port holes "glue it down" and then only a gnat may "occasionally" get into them, but not wasps or bees.

Just use the plastic canvas (from a craft store) and cut a small piece, and glue that over the large port holes in your feeders. Only a hummers tongue, or an occasional gnat can then get to the juice.

Yellow Jackets seem to be worse with this feeder

I have 10 feeders out....we have a ton of hummingbirds. Now the honey bees showed up (for the past four years). A family in our neighborhood has hives. We can't even sit on our deck. There are hundreds of them. All my feeders have bee guards...they do not work. I have one Oriole feeder. The bees also love this feeder...they fall in the holes, float to the top and die. How do we get rid of honey bees from out feeders.

Use PIC wasp traps with a solution of apple juice spiked with a couple of tablespoons of sugar and a dash of apple cider vinegar, which seems to mimic the fermentation of fallen apples. Add a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid as a surfactant so wasps hitting the surface sink. Use a Q tip to coat the entrance holes with the mixture, do this before adding the Dishwashing liquid. Use the other end of the Q tip dipped in sugar and coat the farthest end of the entrance holes to entice the wasps into the trap. Hang the traps adjacent to your hummingbird feeders. I have been battling this problem for years and this is the best solution I have found. The PIC traps are only around $5 and last forever and can be ordered from Home Depot. Regardless of which traps you use, try the above solution and don't forget to coat the entrance to the trap with solution and sugar.

After trying many unsuccessful remedies, we've found that a light dusting of food-grade diatomaceous earth stops bees and related insects cold, but doesn't bother hummingbirds. Re-dust after rain when insects return.

Those are generally yellow jackets. I like the feeders I have as they are wide mouthed and easy to clean. 2016 seemed to be yellow jacket year and I tried everything but I'm keeping those feeders, come hell or high water! Feeder holes are too big so on back side I filled half of the hole with hot glue. Too small for yellow jackets to enter but the hummers can easily get their tongue into the hole. Problem solved, had to share!

Anonymous

I have this flat feeder and it does work