How to Clean Up the Hard Drive on a PC?
To help your computer run efficiently, you need to remove all the files you don't need, and do routine maintenance. This is a page about cleaning up the hard drive on a pc
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
I have 64 bit touch screen PC made by MSI, Micro Star International. It has Windows 7 Home Premium OA. My problem is that the C drive is filled to capacity. The PC was given to me by a friend. She paid to have it all cleaned out but mistakenly put a flash drive into it and everything that was cleaned is back on the PC.
What do I need to clean the computer? It's slow, the video will stop, and sometimes, the computer will freeze up.
Any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.
September 25, 20173 found this helpful
How to clean your PC
- Start off by cleaning all the old data and files off the hard drive. You will need to find these files stored in documents, downloads, music,video, and photos. Delete anything in these files that are not yours and you don't want to keep.
- Open your control panel and go to Internet options. In the panel, select delete browing history. This will clean all the history, passwords, and cookies on the system.
- In the control panel,select programs and functions. Delete all unwanted programs off the computer.
- Open your computer and go to program files. Select the folder marked accessories. Now select system tools. You will select disk clean up first.
- After disk clean up has finished now select defrag the hard drive.
- You can download Registry Life and Slim cleaner to finish cleaning up the hard drive. These will take care of all the unnecessary registry files on the hard drive.
This will free up the disk space on your hard drive. MSI computers also have a built in system restore or factory restore. If this doesn't help, you should consider restoring this computer to factory settings.
September 25, 20171 found this helpful
How to Clean Up the Hard Drive on a PC
Go to StartAll ProgramsAccessories.
Select System Tools and click Disk Cleanup.
In the Files to Delete list, check the boxes next to the names of the files you want to remove and clear the boxes next to any files you want to keep.
Click the Clean Up System Files button.
September 25, 20171 found this helpful
I believe the first question would be; how computer savvy are you? Does any part of the suggestions overwhelm you? If not then proceed as in previous postings.
- I have sold several computers, my son is a computer whiz and he has always instructed me to use the restore discs that came with the computer (or the ones I was supposed to have made when I got the computer) as they are the easiest and complete without having to be concerned about missing something or someone else being able to find something.
- I feel sure you do not have any restore discs but you can purchase them from the manufacturer (usually about $20).
- Once you have these you can just insert and follow directions. Nothing easier.
- When this is complete you will have a perfectly restored pc but you will have to run windows updates and maybe install the latest drivers.
- This will not save any additional programs she placed on the pc. If you want to save any of those you will have to muddle through removing each program that you do not want.
if you would like a real computer whiz's opinion; send a question to Dear Webby (email@example.com) and he may be able to help you clean up this pc - safely.
Read More Answers
September 26, 20171 found this helpful
Clean a computer.
- Try running disk clean up.
- Run malware bytes to identify a virus.
- Try the fix it function.
- Try system restore.
- Try disabling the hibernate function.
- Delete temp files from user profile.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.