Computer Running Slowly

Category Maintenance
Computer is Running Slowly
Doing regular maintenance with the system's tools will help your PC run better. This guide is about computer is running slowly.

Hi, TF members my computer keeps freezing and also running very slow. Can anyone help? Many thanks.
Helen x

By h.arnott from U.K

Internet Explorer:

Click on Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Cleanup.

Put the Disk Cleanup icon on your desktop and do this every night before shutting down computer.

Mozilla Firefox: Open Moxilla Firefox browser

At top of site click on History tab, click on Show all History. Library box will open up.

Double Click Yesterday tab and all tabs which haven't been cleaned out. Click on Organize - Select All - Delete.

This will clean out all your old files which is causing your computer from running slow and freezing.

If it is only slow while using the internet I recommend cleaning out your "cookies". For the life of me I can't remember where the clear cookies button is.

You can also "reset" Internet Explorer. That had caused my browser to bog down. (Reset by going to TOOLS - INTERNET OPTIONS - ADVANCED, click on reset button.

If your entire PC is running slow it is usually caused by foreign programs. To clean them up I recommend Ad-Aware by Lavasoft and Spybot - Search & Destroy. Both programs are avvailable for free via tucows.com and are good to run together. Ad-aware first and Spybot second.

If I remember right if you do it the other way around Ad-aware will detect Spybot as a trojan. One of them, I don't remember which, requests you to pay for a liscence but it does let you use the program a couple times before it stops working.

Another thing you can do is check to see if your problem is just a fragmented hard drive. I would do this first. On Vista machines go to START - ALL PROGRAMS - ACCESSORIES - SYSTEM TOOLS - DISC DEFRAGMENTER. If your disc is fragmented badly enough this process can tkae some time so I recommend you do it before going to bed.

Same with the two scanners above.

If you don't regularly run a virus program I recommend AVAST! which is a free virus program that works really well. I think you can download it from TUCOWS as well or just Google it.

Hope this helps.

Sounds like your computer needs some serious clean-up. Download CrapCleaner and Malwarebytes and run them. Run CrapCleaner first. If you do get Spybot, make sure it's the Spybot Search and Destroy. All are free. Spybot by itself is not.

Even cleaning the inside of your computer will help. Open and vacuum out and use a blower to blow dust the vacuum can't get to. I turn my vacuum so it blows, but you need to stand fairly far away so you don't blow something out of its socket. You will need to clean the room also as it blows dust everywhere.

Run your CrapCleaner every day and it should take care of things for a while.

AdAware can help too.

Go to Control Panel, add/remove programs and delete programs you NEVER use. Make sure you know what they are before you delete them. I once deleted my sound because I thought the name of it sounded like malware.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Go to Start, Run and type in %TEMP%. That will bring up a lot of unnessary things that have built up on your computer. After that list is shown. Go to edit and click on select all. Go back to file and delete them. Some will not delete but most will. This will clean it up a lot. I do this about 3 times a week. It doesn't take long to erase them. Good luck

Sounds like you are running Windows! As others have mentioned, if you haven't already, you need to run several of the malware, spyware and anti-virus programs, needed to remove the junk that has accumulated over time while you were operating your machine. Unfortunate this happens when using Windows. Another option to prevent this would be use an alternate OS, such as PCLinuxOS

Anonymous

I am with Noella! I use all three of those programs weekly and my Windows machine runs excellently! Be sure and 'update' MalwareBytes and Spybot weekly and then run just after updating. The updates are every Wednesday.

Here are the links for all three programs and all three are free:

http://www.ccleaner.com/update/

http://www.safe  botsd/index.html

http://www.malw  tes.org/mbam.php

Download in the order of the links given here. Restart after download and then run scan. Then move on the the second and the third doing the same procedure. Both you and your computer will be happy campers ;-)

If you need any help or further information please feel free to click on my contact button here :-) Let us know after you're done how much it has helped to use these programs :-)

My computer has been running slowly ever since downloading Microsoft Security Essentials. Anyone else seen this problem?

By Betty from Lubbock, TX

When I remarried last year my new husband gave me a MacBook for a wedding gift saying it would save him time previously used cleaning up my PC after a Microsoft update, lol.

Actually he was right, though. I used Windows XP on a Compaq for years, and every time I did an update from MS my computer 'lagged and gagged'-slowed considerably, and would require a couple of hours worth of fine tuning to get it running smoothly again.

I learned a lot from the MS forums, and also from the software pages on about.com.

Anonymous

I run CCleaner and Diskeeper after every software download whether Microsoft updates or otherwise because any download can slow your computer. Doing this cleans and re-adjusts the files and speed will be back to normal. CCleaner is completely free and Diskeeper is free to try for 30 days, $39.95 thereafter but it's yours forever. Here are the completely safe links to download them:

http://www.piri  cleaner/download

http://download  _4-10023645.html

I recommend clicking 'save' (and save to your document folder) when you go to download them that way you will always have the installation set-up on hand. After saving it then click 'run' and follow the prompts. I guarantee you will be happy with both of these products.

I think that creators of many of the modern programs take for granted we're all running the fastest, most recent, whiz-bang computers, like they are. Doesn't seem to enter their minds that we aren't....

You might check the minimum requirements for Microsoft Security Essentials and compare it to what your computer has (on Windows XP, right-click "My Computer" to see this).

I have never installed Microsoft Security Essentials, but I did have that slow-running problem when I installed BitDefender (antivirus and Internet protection) on an "older" laptop (3 years old). The laptop took about 15 minutes to boot up, and every double-click command took at least a minute to complete. The laptop was pretty much unusable.

Using a different computer, I checked the minimum requirements for BitDefender. Everything was fine--except for the processor speed. The laptop was just below the minimum requirement for BitDefender. This meant BitDefender was using all the processor, plus some of the hard drive space for the remainder of the processing. So, nothing else could run.

I uninstalled BitDefender, installed AVG free, and the laptop works just fine now.

My computer is very slow. It takes like 5 minutes just to get on Safari. How do I fix that?

By Victoria from Wilmington, NC

The first thing you should do is uninstall any programs you don't use.

Then run your antivirus software just to make sure a virus isn't part of your problem.

If you don't have an anti virus program you can get Avast! for free (Google it, I think its just www.avast.com).

Next you should run a trojan/spybot program. I would recommend both Spybot and Ad-Aware (they are are also free). Be forwarned that one of those programs detects the other as a virus (I think it was Ad-Aware detecting Spybot). No biggie ignore it. Then you should run defrag, it is part of the Microsoft maintenance programs in Windows.

By the way, you should be able to get Spybot, Search and Destroy and Ad Aware from Tucows.com

If after all this your system is still running slower than it has in the past make a backup of all your documents, pictures and anything else of importance on your PC. Make sure you have all the install disks for all the programs you use. Then reinstall Windows.

If you have Vista or newer you can probably install from another partition on your hard drive. Otherwise you should have install disks for your operating system. If you bought your PC with Windows on it the place you bought it from was required by law to provide either an installable version on a different partition of your hard drive or supply you with the MS OS CD (Microsoft Operating System CD).

(If by chance you made a recovery point on your PC when it was running good then just restore to that point instead of reinstalling from day one purchase.)

You will have to reinstall your programs, documents, pictures, etc. as well as do all the MS updates.

Have fun. I just had to do this a couple weeks ago. The main thing is to make sure, doubly sure that you have everything important or necessary for you backed up. Once everything is back on the PC you can store the back ups in a safe place as a "just in case".

If you're uncomfortable doing any of this either ask around for a friend or friend's child to do it for you OR take it to a PC place and have it professionally done. But they to will need all the programs you have installed on your PC to restore it.

Reformat the harddrive? I'd rather hang myself.

Run all Virus, Malware [suspicion #1], Spyware [suspicion #2] and Trojanware softwares and also there are free Registry Scaner and Cleaners available online....[AMAZING how fast and smooth your computer runs after Registry cleanup]

System Restore is a lifesaver; but you should always keep your protection softwares updated!

Malwarebytes.com is a freebie

Malicious Software Removal Tool [Microsoft] is also a freebie.

pcpitstop is a great site for helping you also

http://www.pcpitstop.com/

http://www.micr  ove/default.aspx

http://malwarebytes.org/

http://www.tech  ojan-remover.htm

http://www.tech  egistry-cleaner/

It occurs to me to wonder if you're using a dial-up internet connection? And I've never heard of Safari... guess I'm out of touch. I see the site administrators linked in comments I've previously made on this subject. They should work even if you're not so tech-savvy. If you're really lost, ask someone who knows a little more for help. Try every free option before resorting to something you'll have to pay for!

My computer is slow. I need help to make it faster. Are there are steps to do that? Please help.

Sara from Wausau, WI

Answers:

Computer Is Running Slowly

Making XP work at its best! I found this post on a site that I am a member of. I hope this will be of some help.;

The following reads:

OK people this is something I ran into a few moments ago. I gave it a shot and my POS Toshiba runs a little better.

candp

DISABLE INDEXING SERVICES

Indexing Services is a small little program that uses large amounts of RAM and can often make a computer endlessly loud and noisy. This system process indexes and updates lists of all the files that are on your computer. It does this so that when you do a search for something on your computer, it will search faster by scanning the index lists. If you don't search your computer often, or even if you do search often, this system service is completely unnecessary. To disable do the following:

1. Go to Start
  2. Click Settings
  3. Click Control Panel
  4. Double-click Add/Remove Programs
  5. Click the Add/Remove Window Components
  6. Uncheck the Indexing services
  7. Click Next

OPTIMISE DISPLAY SETTINGS

Windows XP can look sexy, but displaying all the visual items can waste system resources.

To optimise:

1. Go to Start
  2. Click Settings
  3. Click Control Panel
  4. Click System
  5. Click Advanced tab
  6. In the Performance tab click Settings
  7. Leave only the following ticked:
  • Show shadows under menus
  • Show shadows under mouse pointer
  • Show translucent selection rectangle
  • Use drop shadows for icons labels on the desktop
  • Use visual styles on windows and buttons

DISABLE PERFORMANCE COUNTERS

Windows XP has a performance monitor utility which monitors several areas of your PC's performance. These utilities take up system resources so disabling is a good idea.

To disable:

1. Download and install the Extensible Performance Counter List(http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/remove404.mspx)
  2. Then select each counter in turn in the 'Extensible performance counters' window and clear the 'performance counters enabled' checkbox at the bottom.button below.

SPEEDUP FOLDER BROWSING

You may have noticed that everytime you open my computer to browse folders that there is a slight delay. This is because Windows XP automatically searches for network files and printers everytime you open Windows Explorer. To fix this and to increase browsing significantly:

1. Open My Computer
  2. Click on Tools menu
  3. Click on Folder Options
  4. Click on the View tab.
  5. Uncheck the Automatically search for network folders and printers check box
  6. Click Apply
  7. Click OK
  8. Reboot your computer

IMPROVE MEMORY USAGE

Cacheman Improves the performance of your computer by optimizing the disk cache, memory and a number of other settings.

Once Installed:

1. Go to Show Wizard and select All
  2. Run all the wizards by selecting Next or Finished until you are back to the main menu. Use the defaults unless you know exactly what you are doing.
  3. Exit and Save Cacheman
  4. Restart Windows

OPTIMISE YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION

There are lots of ways to do this, but by far the easiest is to run TCP/IP Optimizer.

1. Download(www.speedguide.net/files/tcpoptimizer.exe) and install
  2. Click the General Settings tab and select your Connection Speed (Kbps)
  3. Click Network Adapter and choose the interface you use to connect to the Internet
  4. Check Optimal Settings then Apply
  5. Reboot

OPTIMISE YOUR PAGEFILE

If you give your pagefile a fixed size it saves the operating system from needing to resize the page file.

1. Right click on My Computer and select Properties
  2. Select the Advanced tab
  3. Under Performance choose the Settings button
  4. Select the Advanced tab again and under Virtual Memory, select Change
  5. Highlight the drive containing your page file and make the initial Size of the file the same as the Maximum Size of the file.

Windows XP sizes the page file to about 1.5X the amount of actual physical memory by default. While this is good for systems with smaller amounts of memory (under 512MB) it is unlikely that a typical XP desktop system will ever need 1.5 X 512MB or more of virtual memory. If you have less than 512MB of memory, leave the page file at its default size. If you have 512MB or more, change the ratio to 1:1 page file size to physical memory size.

RUN BOOTVIS - IMPROVE BOOT TIMES download from (www.majorgeeks.com)
BootVis will significantly improve boot times

1. Download and Run
  2. Select Trace
  3. Select Next Boot and Driver Trace
  4. A Trace Repetitions screen will appear, select OK and Reboot
  5. Upon reboot, BootVis will automatically start, analyze and log your system's boot process. When it's done, in the menu go to Trace and select Optimize System
  6. Reboot.
  7. When your machine has rebooted wait until you see the Optimizing System box appear. Be patient and wait for the process to complete

REMOVE THE DESKTOP PICTURE

Your desktop background consumes a fair amount of memory and can slow the loading time of your system. Removing it will improve performance.

1. Right click on Desktop and select Properties
  2. Select the Desktop tab
  3. In the Background window select None
  4. Click OK

REMOVE FONTS FOR SPEED

Fonts, especially TrueType fonts, use quite a bit of system resources. For optimal performance, trim your fonts down to just those that you need to use on a daily basis and fonts that applications may require.

1. Open Control Panel
  2. Open Fonts folder
  3. Move fonts you don't need to a temporary directory (e.g. C:\FONTBKUP?) just in case you need or want to bring a few of them back. The more fonts you uninstall, the more system resources you will gain.

DISABLE UNNECESSARY SERVICES

Because Windows XP has to be all things to all people it has many services running that take up system resources that you will never need. Below is a list of services that can be disabled on most machines:

• Alerter
  • Clipbook
  • Computer Browser
  • Distributed Link Tracking Client
  • Fast User Switching
  • Help and Support - (If you use Windows Help and Support leave this enabled)
  • Human Interface Access Devices
  • Indexing Service
  • IPSEC Services
  • Messenger
  • Netmeeting Remote Desktop Sharing (disabled for extra security)
  • Portable Media Serial Number
  • Remote Desktop Help Session Manager (disabled for extra security)
  • Remote Procedure Call Locator
  • Remote Registry (disabled for extra security)
  • Remote Registry Service
  • Secondary Logon
  • Routing and Remote Access (disabled for extra security)
  • Server
  • SSDP Discovery Service - (Unplug n' Pray will disable this)
  • Telnet
  • TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
  • Upload Manager
  • Universal Plug and Play Device Host
  • Windows Time
  • Wireless Zero Configuration (Do not disable if you use a wireless network)
  • Workstation

To disable these services:

Go to Start and then Run and type "services.msc"
Doubleclick on the service you want to change. Change the startup type to 'Disable"

TURN OFF SYSTEM RESTORE

System Restore can be a useful if your computer is having problems, however storing all the restore points can literally take up Gigabytes of space on your hard drive. To turn off System Restore:

• Open Control Panel
  • Click on Performance and Maintenance
  • Click on System
  • Click on the System Restore tab
  • Tick 'Turn off System Restore on All Drives'
  • Click 'Ok'

DEFRAGMENT YOUR PAGEFILE

Keeping your pagefile defragmented can provide a major performance boost. One of the best ways of doing this is to create a separate partition on your hard drive just for your page file, so that it doesn't get impacted by normal disk usage. Another way of keeping your pagefile defragmented is to run PageDefrag. This cool little app can be used to defrag your pagefile, and can also be set to defrag the pagefile everytime your PC starts. To install:

• Download(www.sysinternals.com) and Run PageDefrag
  • Tick "Defrag at next Reboot",
  • Click "Ok"
  • Reboot

SPEEDUP FOLDER ACCESS - DISABLE LAST ACCESS UPDATE

If you have a lot of folders and subdirectories on your computer, when you access a directory XP wastes a lot of time updating the time stamp showing the last access time for that directory and for ALL sub directories. To stop XP doing this you need to edit the registry. If you are uncomfortable doing this then please do not attempt.

1. Go to Start and then Run and type "regedit"
  2. Click through the file system until you get to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Cur rentControlSet\Control\FileSys tem"
  3. Right-click in a blank area of the window on the right and select 'DWORD Value'
  4. Create a new DWORD Value called 'NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate'
  5. Then Right click on the new value and select 'Modify'
  6. Change the Value Data to '1'
  7. Click 'OK'

DISABLE SYSTEM SOUNDS

Surprisingly, the beeps that your computer makes for various system sounds can slow it down, particularly at startup and shut-down. To fix this turn off the system sounds:

1. Open Control Panel
  2. Click Sounds and Audio Devices
  3. Check Place volume icon in taskbar
  4. Click Sounds Tab
  5. Choose "No Sounds" for the Sound Scheme
  6. Click "No"
  7. Click "Apply"
  8. Click "OK"

IMPROVE BOOT TIMES

A great new feature in Microsoft Windows XP is the ability to do a boot defragment. This places all boot files next to each other on the disk to allow for faster booting. By default this option in enables, but on some builds it is not; so below is how to turn it on.

1. Go to Start Menu and Click Run
  2. Type in "Regedit" then click OK
  3. Find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mcrosoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction"
  4. Select "Enable" from the list on the right
  5. Right click on it and select "Modify"
  6. Change the value to "Y to enable"
  7. Reboot

IMPROVE SWAPFILE PERFORMANCE

If you have more than 256MB of RAM this tweak will considerably improve your performance. It basically makes sure that your PC uses every last drop of memory (faster than swap file) before it starts using the swap file.

1. Go to Start then Run
  2. Type "msconfig.exe" then OK
  3. Click on the System.ini tab
  4. Expand the 386enh tab by clicking on the plus sign
  5. Click on new then in the blank box type"ConservativeSwapfileUsage =1"
  6. Click OK
  7. Restart PC

MAKE YOUR MENUS LOAD FASTER

This is one of my favourite tweaks as it makes a huge difference to how fast your machine will 'feel'. What this tweak does is remove the slight delay between clicking on a menu and XP displaying the menu.

1. Go to Start then Run
  2. Type 'Regedit' then click 'Ok'
  3. Find "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\"
  4. Select "MenuShowDelay"
  5. Right click and select "Modify'
  6. Reduce the number to around "100". This is the delay time before a menu is opened. You can set it to "0", but it can make windows really hard to use as menus will open if you just look at them - well move your mouse over them anyway. I tend to go for anywhere between 50-150 depending on my mood.

MAKE PROGRAMS LOAD FASTER

This little tweak tends to work for most programs. If your program doesn't load properly just undo the change. For any program:

1. Right-click on the icon/shortcut you use to launch the program
  2. Select properties
  3. In the 'target' box, add ' /prefetch:1' at the end of the line.
  4. Click "Ok"

Voila - your programs will now load faster.

IMPROVE XP SHUTDOWN SPEED

This tweak reduces the time XP waits before automatically closing any running programs when you give it the command to shutdown.

1. Go to Start then select Run
  2. Type 'Regedit' and click OK
  3. Find 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\'
  4. Select 'WaitToKillAppTimeout'
  5. Right click and select 'Modify'
  6. Change the value to '1000'
  7. Click 'OK'
  8. Now select 'HungAppTimeout'
  9. Right click and select 'Modify'
  10. Change the value to '1000'
  11. Click 'OK'
  12. Now find 'HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop'
  13. Select 'WaitToKillAppTimeout'
  14. Right click and select 'Modify'
  15. Change the value to '1000'
  16. Click 'OK'
  17. Now find 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\'
  18. Select 'WaitToKillServiceTimeout'
  19. Right click and select 'Modify'
  20. Change the value to '1000'
  21. Click 'OK'

SPEED UP BOOT TIMES I

This tweak works by creating a batch file to clear the temp and history folders everytime you shutdown so that your PC doesn't waste time checking these folders the next time it boots. It's quite simple to implement:

1. Open Notepad and create a new file with the following entries:

RD /S /q "C:\Documents and Settings\"UserName without quotes"\Local Settings\History"
    RD /S /q "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\History"
    RD /S /q "D:\Temp\ Deletes temp folder, type in the location of your temp folder"

2. Save the new as anything you like but it has to be a '.bat' file e.g. fastboot.bat or deltemp.bat

3. Click 'Start' then 'Run'

4. Type in 'gpedit.msc' and hit 'OK'

5. Click on 'Computer Configuration' then 'Windows Settings'

6. Double-click on 'Scripts' and then on 'Shutdown'

7. Click 'Add' and find the batch file that you created and then press 'Ok'

SPEED UP BOOT TIMES II

When your PC starts it usually looks for any bootable media in any floppy or cd-rom drives you have installed before it gets around to loading the Operating System from the HDD. This can waste valuable time. To fix this we need to make some changes to the Bios.

1. To enter the bios you usually press 'F2' or 'delete' when your PC starts

2. Navigate to the 'Boot' menu

3. Select 'Boot Sequence'
  4. Then either move your Hard drive to the top position or set it as the 'First Device'

5. Press the 'Escape' key to leave the bios. Don't forget to save your settings before exiting

Note: Once this change has been made, you won't be able to boot from a floppy disc or a CD-rom. If for some strange reason you need to do this in the future, just go back into your bios, repeat the steps above and put your floppy or CD-rom back as the 'First Device'

SPEED UP BOOT TIMES III

When your computer boots up it usually has to check with the network to see what IP addresses are free and then it grabs one of these. By configuring a manually assigned IP address your boot time will improve. To do this do the following:

1. Click on 'Start' and then ''Connect To/Show All Connections'

2. Right-click your network adapter card and click 'Properties'.

3. On the 'General' tab, select 'TCP/IP' in the list of services and click 'Properties'

4. In the TCP/IP properties, click 'Use the following address' and enter an IP address for your PC. If you are using a router this is usually 192.168.0.xx or 192.168.1.xx. If you are not sure what address you could check with your ISP or go to 'Start/run' and type 'cmd' and then 'ipconfig/all'. This will show your current IP settings which you will need to copy.
  5. Enter the correct details for 'Subnet mask', 'Default gateway' and 'DNS Server'. Again if you are not sure what figures to enter use 'ipconfig/all' as in stage 4.

FREE UP MEMORY

I found this useful app via FixMyXP. ClearMem is an excellent tool for speeding up your XP computer (especially if your system has been on for awhile and you have a lot of applications open). What it does, is it forces pages out of physical memory and reduces the size of running processes if working sets to a minimum. When you run this tool, the system pauses because of excessive high-priority activity associated with trimming the working sets. To run this tool, your paging file must be at least as large as physical memory. To Check your Paging File:

1. Go to your control panel, then click on 'System', then go to the 'Advanced' Tab, and Under 'Performance' click 'Settings' then the 'Advanced' Tab

2. On the Bottom you should see 'Virtual Memory' and a value. This is the value that must be at least as large as how much memory is in your system.

3. If the Virtual Memory Value is smaller than your system memory, click Change and change the Min Virtual Memory to a number that is greater than your total system memory, then click 'Set' and Reboot.

4. Once you have rebooted install ClearMem

ENSURE XP IS USING DMA MODE

XP enables DMA for Hard-Drives and CD-Roms by default on most ATA or ATAPI (IDE) devices. However, sometimes computers switch to PIO mode which is slower for data transfer - a typical reason is because of a virus. To ensure that your machine is using DMA:

1. Open 'Device Manager'

2. Double-click 'IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers'

3. Right-click 'Primary Channel' and select 'Properties' and then 'Advanced Settings'

4. In the 'Current Transfer Mode' drop-down box, select 'DMA if Available' if the current setting is 'PIO Only'

ADD CORRECT NETWORK CARD SETTINGS

Some machines suffer from jerky graphics or high CPU usage even when a machine is idle. A possible solution for this, which, can also can help network performance is to:

1. RightClick 'My Computer'

2. Select 'Manage'

3. Click on 'Device Manager'

4. DoubleClick your network adaptor under 'Network Adapters'

5. In the new window, select the 'Advanced' tab

6. Select 'Connection Type' and select the correct type for your card and then Reboot

REMOVE ANNOYING DELETE CONFIRMATION MESSAGES

Although not strictly a performance tweak I love this fix as it makes my machine 'feel' faster. I hate the annoying 'are you sure?' messages that XP displays, especially if I have to use a laptop touchpad to close them. To remove these messages:

1. Right-click on the 'Recycle Bin' on the desktop and then click 'Properties'

2. Clear the 'Display Delete Confirmation Dialog' check box and click 'OK'

If you do accidently delete a file don't worry as all is not lost. Just go to your Recycle Bin and 'Restore' the file.

DISABLE PREFETCH ON LOW MEMORY SYSTEMS

Prefetch is designed to speed up program launching by preloading programs into memory - not a good idea if memory is in short supply, as it can make programs hang. To disable prefetch:

1. Click 'Start' then 'Run'

2. Type in 'Regedit' then click 'Ok'

3. Navigate to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Cur rentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\ '

4. Right-click on "EnablePrefetcher" and set the value to '0'

5. Reboot.
(11/17/2008)

By Boop 1

Computer Is Running Slowly

We have found out that a lot of pictures really slows down a computer a lot! And I'm sure a lot of music would too. I think it's been mentioned to burn your pictures and music to CD, and clear off your PC of all pics and music afterward, you'll really notice a big difference. (11/18/2008)

By Glinda

Computer Is Running Slowly

Since I'm severely visually "challenged" and can't really enjoy the images, I have no "wallpaper" on my desktop. I know that saves at least a little RAM. I left the screen-saver image, though; I *can* see the "Mystique" thingie's movement, and enjoy it.

I'm fairly tech-savvy, but not really advanced, so none of the really advanced stuff would be in my range of expertise. I do, however, regularly run the Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter utilities to free up RAM. I also regularly clear out my Internet Explorer history and temporary files. I leave the cookies and passwords only; that way I don't have to struggle to remember them afterward, lol!

Last, but not least, I hope you've got a good virus scanner; this machine came with AVG Professional, although I may be forced to resort to the free version next year to save money. Even if you have to go with the free version, AVG is one of the best virus scanning programs out there. (11/19/2008)

By JustPlainJo

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.