How to Make Cross Silhouettes

Category Decorations
Making silhouettes with paints and other art supplies is easy and can be used to create a variety of works. This is a page about how to make cross silhouettes.

In Christianity, one of the first things you learn in Sunday School is about how Jesus died on the cross for your sins. There are numerous crafts and activities children tend to do in church revolving around the cross. A silhouette cross is very simple and fun to make for any age, including adults! The end result is always different, and always beautiful! For this post, I created a silhouette from four different mediums, including paint, chalk, crayons, and bingo markers.

Total Time: 30 to 45 minutes to create and a couple hours to dry

Yield: 4

Source: I saw a painted cross silhouette on Pinterest. Then I tried a few other mediums.

• 3 pieces white poster board or card stock
  • scissors
  • painter's tape
  • poster paint (at least 2 different colors)
  • white chalk
  • 1 sheet black construction paper
  • crayons
  • 3-6 Bingo dot markers (any colors)
  • paper towel (if needed)
  • laminator with sheets (optional)
  • hairspray--can (optional)

1. For every cross, cut two pieces out of the painter's tape, making one approximately half the size of the other. Place the longest piece vertically, in the center of the paper. Add the shorter piece horizontally across the first, making a cross. I measured how long I needed to make each piece by stretching the tape from the roll across the page. Then I held my place on the tape a cut it. Since it's painter's tape, you can pull it up, trim, and reposition as needed.
  2. Advertisement

3. Finger paint around the cross. You can choose to paint the entire page one color or more. I started with one color and placed it sporadically around the page. Then I repeated the process with a few more colors. Lastly, I swirled my index finger all over the page, mixing colors together.
  4. After you have finished painting, remove the tape and allow to dry. After the paper dries, the ends roll inward a little. You can lay it under a heavy book to flatten it. Other options are to laminate or frame the cross. You can see my final, laminated version in the main photo.
  5. Advertisement

6. Here is the chalk cross silhouette. I used black construction paper and white chalk. I'm sure colored chalk would be just as beautiful. Once you make this craft, you need to either laminate it or spray over the page with hairspray. Either will keep the chalk from smearing.
  7. The crayon cross took the longest to complete, maybe because coloring hurts my fingers. I tried to create a stained glass look with my coloring pattern. This is just one of the many ways you could color around the cross.
  8. Lastly, here is my Bingo marker example. I chose to create three crosses in this one to stand for Calvary. I first went around each cross with one color and let that dry. I skipped a space between each dot. Then I added a second color, filling in the empty spaces. I made the largest cross the same color. I wanted to see the difference. You can use any colors of course! After you Bingo dot around, you can blot any heavy puddles with a paper towel so they won't run. Use the markers to dot around rest of the paper before removing the tape. I chose blue to represent the sky, yellow for stars, and green for the grass.
  9. Advertisement

Crafts Easter DecorationsJanuary 26, 2017
🌻
🐛
😷
📓
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/How-to-Make-Cross-Silhouettes-1.html