How to Make Recycled Catalog Flowers

Category Decor
Paper flowers can be make from a variety of paper types. Don't discard those unwanted or used catalogs, turn them into a unique floral arrangement or put to another decorative use. This is a guide about how to make recycled catalog flowers.

Every week, I receive a bunch of catalogs from stores where I shop. It is such a waste of paper and I need to figure out how to tell them to not mail me any. I already receive enough emails from them so catalogs are a waste of paper and ink. I decided to use one of my catalogs from this week to make flowers as decorations for my pen/pencil holder. I also thought it was cute to put on my pen too.

If you are not interested in using recycled catalogs, you can use scrapbook paper or colored paper - same steps apply. This would be cute as centerpieces for parties too.

Total Time: 10-15 minutes per flower

• catalogs (or choice of paper)
  • hot glue
  • copper wire
  • scissors
  • wire cutter

1. Using your choice of paper (I used a White House Black Market catalog) fold your paper the long way in half. Then half again on both sides.
  2. Now you want to free hand cut slits away from the opening as pictured. Close to the edge, but not all the way. You do not have to cut perfectly. Repeat this process for the number of flowers you want to make. One strip per flower, less/more depending how full you want your flower to be.
  3. Optional: Cut strips of copper wire for the stem of the flower. Or, you can use a straw or construction paper rolled up.
  4. Secure the copper wire with tape or glue at the edge of the slitted paper and start rolling until you have wrapped the entire strip of paper around the wire to achieve a beautiful flower. Fluff open.
  5. Repeat until you have the number of flowers you desire. You can make a bouquet to give as a gift, make a centerpiece, or decoration for your home. I liked the way it looked in my pen/pencil holder.
  6. You can also wrap around a pen as a decoration (like stores would do with fake flowers so people do not run off with their pens). It is such a cute touch!

Love these! The changing colours on the papers really make them pop!