How to Make a Blue Ombré Summer Wreath
A Hula Hoop, blue and white faux lei flowers, yarn, and sea shells are used to make this pretty blue ombré summer wreath.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
It is summer, time to add some color to your front porch! Turn a Hula Hoop, yarn and lei flowers into a stunning blue ombré wreath. This wreath will be great to decorate a holiday house, and if you are having a staycation, it will bring the beach right into your home.
Total Time: about one hour
Yield: one wreath
- Hula Hoop with a diameter of 18"
- piece of lightweight blue embroidered denim fabric (can also be cut from old denim)
- ball of 4-ply navy blue yarn
- ball of 4-ply light blue yarn
- ball of 4-ply white yarn
- 6 in of navy blue satin ribbon
- blue-and-white Hawaiian silk floral lei
- sea star, shell, and piece of broken shell
- standard scissors
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Cut the denim fabric into strips sized 10"x 1.4" ~ you need 20 of these denim strips. Tie 10 strips on one side of the Hula Hoop, and ten on the opposite side. Secure each strip with a knot to keep them in place.
- Divide the uncovered area of the Hula Hoop into 6 more or less equal parts. Use the light blue yarn and start directly above the one area where denim strips have been added. Tie the yarn round the Hula Hoop and make a knot. Wrap the yarn tightly around the Hula Hoop and when reaching the end of the first section, secure the yarn at the back with a knot again. Repeat once more, this time adding a light blue section on the opposite side directly below the denim strips.
- Repeat step 2, using the navy blue yarn, adding a navy blue section directly above and directly below the denim strips.
- Use white yarn to cover the middle sections at the top and bottom.
- Add a drop of hot glue to each knot and allow to cool before cutting off any loose yarn ends.
- Make a loop with the ribbon and hot glue it to the top of the Hula Hoop.
- Cut the lei's flowers loose. Hot glue approximately twenty flowers, the sea star, the shell, and the broken shell to the Hula Hoop.