How to Make a Heart Succulent Wreath
Succulents lend themselves to decorative planting ideas. Pick up a heart shaped piece of wall decor at your local craft store. Planting instructions for this lovely living wreath follow.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
July 13, 2019
I purchased this iron heart chicken wire wall decor at my local Michael's Arts & Crafts for 70% off. I will show you all how to create this heart shaped succulent wreath to use as outdoor decor.
Note: You have to wait 6-8 weeks for the succulent roots to grow out before you hang the wreath. However, if you would like to hang your heart succulent wreath immediately, you will need to use wire to secure succulents in place.
Total Time: A couple days
- iron heart chicken wire wall decor
- chicken wire
- coco liner
- sphagnum moss
- plant training wire
- black plastic flat tray
- black plastic sheeting
- assorted succulents
- At your local arts and crafts store you can find various size/shapes of chicken wire decor items. I purchased this heart shaped one.
- Flip heart decor over to the backside. You want to cut coco liner to size and cut chicken wire slightly larger.
- Using the chicken wire edges, secure chicken wire to rim of heart (half way).
- With the other half of the heart - not yet secured into place, in the flap you can pack your moss inside.
- Use some plant training wire to secure chicken wire, moss and original heart chicken wire.
- Pack in soil.
- Optional - Line plastic on a plastic flat tray (that can fit your wreath) so the soil doesn't fall through plus any leaves that fall out on the plastic liner from the succulents, you can use for propagation.
- Use a chopstick to poke holes to prep for succulent planting!
- Using assorted succulents from your garden, plant succulents in the wreath and repeat until heart is full! Optional - you can use wire to secure succulents into place for immediate hanging or, wait 6-8 weeks for roots to grow to hang wreath up.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.