How to Remove Grime from Wood Doors Without Refinishing

Category Miscellaneous
Wood doors can become grimy over time. Here is some information about how to remove grime from wood doors without refinishing.

I have 100 year old Florida pine wood doors. They must have 100 years of dirt from hands on them and would like to know if any one knows how to get the grime out. I really don't want to refinish them if I don't have to.

Nelly from Kissimmee St.Cloud, FL

Answers

Best Answer

My house is nearly 100 years old, and my doors and woodwork (beadboard wainscoting in the kitchen, 8-inch baseboards, wooden divider between the living room and dining room), though thankfully unpainted, get grimy and "gunky". My sister bought a can of "Cabinet Magic" at Home Depot for me. It's made for these such things. The stuff is pretty cheap (not as cheap as vinegar), $5 a can or less.
Also, if you have a dollar store near you, try the awesome spray. It's a terrific de-greaser.
Good luck!

Best Answer

You can't beat Murphy's oil soap for cleaning any kind of wood! Try it with a scruffy sponge or even some steel wool (test in an inconspicuous spot first)

By Jessica (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I actually used straight pinesol to clean grime from my wooden floors. I just dumped a little in the grimy area and then used a big scrubber brush and within 10 seconds it lifted the grime right up. It did no damage to our floor at all, just brought up the grime.

Once I had a good little pile of lifted grime cleaning, I wiped it up with a dry rag and then sprayed it with straight water and buffed with another dry rag. I did little areas at a time, dumping-scrubbing-lifting-rinsing-buffing. It cost about 2 dollars to do the entire house.

Try straight vinegar in a spray bottle with liberal amounts of elbow grease.