Refinishing Wood Furniture

Category Refinishing
Refinishing wood furniture is a great way to recycle an older piece or repair damage to the surface finish of furniture. This is a guide about refinishing wood furniture.

A light sanding can help smooth out wood for finishing. This is a guide about sanding wood with cardboard.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Brew very strong tea, 3 or 4 tea bags for one cup. Let cool and dab the wood with the tea or use the bags directly!

By Kathleen

How do you know what base varnish or stain was used if your refinishing an old yard sale table? What product can I use as a base primer so all the other mediums I use will adhere? And I'd like to know if I can use oil or acrylic to paint a picture on the top surface of the table then vanish over the picture after the medium dries to keep the mural?

By Ali

Answers

To get new paint to adhere, you will need to sand the table down. Paint won't adhere to varnish (it will to stain but the stain may bleed through). So, sand it down. Then paint it with a primer. If it bleeds through the primer in any spots, you will need to apply a second coat. After that drys well, you can paint and do your picture. After your picture is very good and dry, put a clear wood/pain shellac over it. You will want more than one coat of the shellac--follow the directions on the can, as some require a light sanding in between coats.

We have done this with several old tables. Only, instead of painting a picture, we paint a checker board. They sit on our front porch and get used every year during our annual July 4 parties and fall bonfires.

You can use TSP to remove the finish, then paint.

I've been asked to put a urethane finish on a table that was oiled over raw poplar wood with mineral oil. What do I use to strip out the mineral oil?

Answers

I doubt you can remove it all. You could try naphtha.. It will thin oil and bring it to the top and you can blot up what you can.

You will need to repeat that numerous times, using clean towels each time.

I have a new sofa. The wood trim was much darker than my other furniture. I decided to paint and glaze it to match. The match is very close, but the new color isn't complementary with the upholstery. I want to get back to original color. Is it best to repaint and glaze or strip and restain? There is only one thin coat of paint and thin glaze on it now.

Answers

You would be better off stripping it and restraining. It might not go over the glaze evenly.

I refinished a wood/veneer china cabinet. I sanded it down the best I could. The top to the bottom piece was sanded down to bare wood and that's what's giving me the hardest time. I have 3 coats of a semi gloss enamel (with built in primer) on it. Then I took a polyurethane and stain product and "antiqued" over the paint. Most of it's fine, but the bottom section is still tacky after 3 days in air conditioning (Eastern MD).

I've refinished furniture before and never had this problem.

By Susan H

Answers

You could the wood colored crayons you can buy them at Home Depot or any place that sells wood.

I want to refinish some dark oak chairs and do them in a lighter stain. I used a citrus based product from Home Depot, while it had a nice smell, and was not toxic it really did not do a good job. I might add this one chair took me five hours and it still needs work in places. What have others used? Thank you in advance!

By Sandi from Scotland, CT

Answers

I stripped my banister a few years ago and used a stripper I got from Home Depot. It worked great came off the first use.

I know that the non toxic doesn't always work well. But do you want to spend hours or get it off the first time. Good Luck.