How to Remove Odors in a Vacuum Cleaner

Category Odors
Many of the things that your vacuum picks up, such as pet hair, can result in persistent odors that are released whenever you turn it on. This is a guide about how to remove odors in a vacuum cleaner.

For vacuum cleaners that stink, remove the brush roller and unscrew the end caps. You will find small bearings at each end and what appears to be a washer, it's not a washer it is hair that has wrapped around the brush bar and overheated creating the odor. Clean the roller bearing area a couple times a year more often if you have pets. This will get rid of that mysterious odor.

By Elpac from Minneapolis, MN

Put 4 or 5 drops of your favorite essential oil in your vacuum cleaner bag to release a fresh clean scent in the air. Some good scents to try are peppermint, orange or lemon citrus, sandalwood and lavender.

This also acts as aromatherapy for example, peppermint perks you up, lavender has a calming soothing effect and citrus makes the air fruity and crisp. My co-workers love when I vacuum the office, so much in fact they want to choose the fragrance of the week :)

By shedrivesz

If your vacuum is stinky, it may be necessary to do a deep cleaning of the vacuum to locate the origin of the smell. This is a guide about cleaning a stinky vacuum.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have an annoying smell coming from my vacuum. I inserted a new bag, and cleaned the tools. The smell is still there. What else can I do?

By Rosie

Answers

Best Answer

Be sure to check to see if you have something caught in the hose or the machine. Lay the hose out straight and shine a light through one end. If the light is blocked, you may have something in the hose. You may be able to push it thru with a dowel or coat hanger.

Check the intake opening on the bottom of the cleaner to see if there are any blockages there. Sometimes the cloth bags get old and smell. If they are washable great if not maybe it is time for a new vacuum. The hoses build up dirt inside. I can take my hose off the machine and lay it in the bath tub with soapy water and all kinds of dirt floats out. those two things usually take care of the problem.