How to Clean a Vacuum Cleaner Brush Roll

Category Appliances
Thread, yarn, and hair can become tightly wrapped around the brush roll on your vacuum. Using scissors or a seam ripper can help make cleaning it easier. This is a guide about how to clean a vacuum cleaner brush roll.

Use a seam ripper to clean vacuum cleaner rollers when they are built up with long hair and strings/threads. Don't forget to get the edges of the roller. This makes it so much easier than tugging and pulling out the hair or strings/threads that get tangled on the roller.

Carefully cut away at the hair and strings/threads from the roller with the seam ripper and gently pull out with your fingers. You will be surprised with the amount you remove. Keeping the rollers clear on a regular basis will prolong their life.

You can find a seam ripper, usually for under $2.00, at most stores in the sewing/craft department. Wipe it off after use and keep it handy when checking the vacuum cleaner.

It is important to clean/check your vacuum cleaner as a maintenance routine. Wiping the exterior, top and bottom of the vacuum and checking the rollers and belt for wear and tear will extend its' life. Also, it is a good idea to keep a vacuum cleaner belt handy in case the old one is worn or slipping and needs to be replaced.

By it's.only.me from NE PA / USA

Top Comment

Oh I was so hoping for a new way since I've been useing a seam ripper for years and it's totally tidious not to mention being careful not to cut yourself. I have found that if I clean the brushes and rollers after each use it's so much easier than letting it build up. I would also add to keep the rollers oiled.

I have started using a new stainless steel seam ripper that I got, it works much better.

Many times the powerhead motor burns out, which results in an expensive repair or a new vacuum cleaner. Avoid this by removing the hair that collects in the brush rolls at the end of every vacuuming session.

Use a small scissors to cut the hairs, making them easier to remove.