How to Remove Permanent Marker From a Tub and Toilet

Little artists will use any surface to create their masterpieces. Unfortunately they are often using permanent markers. This is a guide about how to remove permanent marker from a tub and toilet.

My 3.5 year old son decided that for the millionth time he needed to mark on things he shouldn't mark on with something he shouldn't have, my fault. We are moving out and I was using a Sharpie ultra fine point marker to label boxes and I left it in his reach on my bathroom sink. So now I need to know to remove it from the outside wall of my bath tub and my toilet seat, not the lid, but the ring. I tried Magic Eraser, bleach, peroxide, rubbing alcohol, and acetone. No such luck, it's faded a lot, but still very noticeable and I would really like it gone before my boyfriend notices!

Please help!

Best Answer

Just use Comet Cleanser. If it doesn't come off on the first rub with Comet cleanser and water on a rag, then make a paste out of it with water and the cleanser in a small bowl, then glob it on and let that sit for a bit.

I've had felt pen marks on all kinds of things over the years for all kinds of reasons and never worried about how to remove it because Comet takes it right off. If you use another brand of cleanser, I will say this, (imho) there is no cleanser that works as well as Comet.

Best Answer

Try Barkeepers Friend

So, in case anyone else runs into this problem...I went to my local Dollar Tree this afternoon and I purchased their off brand magic erasers, some baking soda, The Works, and a product called LA's Totally Awesome Oxygen Orange. I took a somewhat dangerous risk (because I am no chemist) I sprayed my toilet seat and bath tub with the oxygen orange and let it sit for a few minutes, then I sprinkled on just a bit of baking soda on the toilet seat and let it sit for another minute, then i added a few drops of The Works to both the toilet seat and the bath tub and walked away for a little bit bc there is no ventalation in my bathroom and it was getting pretty smelly in there.

Probably about 5 minutes later I went back in with the magic eraser and I went at the toilet seat, it took a little bit of scrubbing but it came off! Then I did the bath tub and it took a bit more scrubbing (cause the products couldn't sit directly on there since it's horizontal and just ran down to the floor) but it came off too! So, if you ever run into this problem..try this mixture..also I'm pretty sure my tub is made of fiber glass so, if you have something else fiberglass and you're trying to remove sharpie from you go.

I use powdered Ajax in small circular motions with a sponge.