How to Remove Permanent Marker on Upholstery

Category Fabric
There are a number of specialty products and some common household ones that can be used for this cleaning job. This is a guide about how to remove permanent marker on upholstery.

How do I remove permanent black marker from car seat?

By sanderson1

A 3 year old, a marker, and a cherished heirloom don't mix well at all. I am in tears. How do I remove permanent marker from my deceased grandmother's fabric living room chair? It is a formal living room chair. It is black marker.

By tamsdilemma2009 from Woodstock, GA

Answers:

Rubbing Alcohol

You might try this on a dime sized spot. Get some old rags to hold underneath the area you are testing and to blot with. Go to Walmart and get the 91 percent rubbing alcohol. Pour a bit into a small dish and dip a cotton ball into the alcohol until it's wet, but just short of dripping. Press into a small spot on the fabric, wait 1 minute or less if it starts to run, and blot. Repeat and see if it starts to come out.

Last month I realized I'd used a permanent marker on my dry erase board and removed it with rubbing alcohol. I just happened to have the super strength, regular is 70 per cent, and I think the extra alcohol helps.

By PIKKA

Ink Away

Ink Away made by GooGone! It states that it removes ink stains from fabrics and upholstery. I used it on the seats of my van that the kids wrote on with a black Sharpie, and it took it off. It comes in a small bottle (2 fl.oz.) and I got it at either Lowe's or Menard's. It's not for use on suede or leather. Good luck. I know your pain when it comes to kids finding a marker.

By pakjc

How do I get permanent marker out of a car's upholstery?

Meagan from Gadsden, AL

Answers

409

My son did the same thing, and 409 got it out for me. Just spray and blot.

By cantmissamy

Hairspray

After using the hairspray, it did come out most of the way. It is still faintly there.

By Michelle

Nail Polish Remover

I had the same problem, my daughter got pen on our leather couch. Nail polish remover worked wonders, and now my 4 year old son had fun with a green permanent marker, on my fridge, pantry doors, and living room furniture. I'm gonna try hairspray now. I've tried toothpaste, and that only worked on the wood part, so we'll see.

By Relieved!

Hairspray

My daughter got black permanent marker on my microfiber sofa sectional. I just used "Rave" hairspray, blotted it up, sprayed again, got a wet towel and blotted it again, and it is completely gone. You are all life savers.

By Andrea

White Board Marker

Just been shown a really good way of removing it. Paint over it with white board marker, then use a wet wipe to rub off. It all came off first time! I am amazed.

By Eileen S.

Fingernail Polish and Hairspray

I used hair spray and fingernail polish remover both on a tan microfiber couch (blue ink) and it came out real great!

By Shelly

How do I get red permanent marker out of upholstery fabric?

Jana

Answers:

Permanent Marker on Upholstery

Oxy Clean got it out of mine. (08/28/2007)

By Lynn Beth

Permanent Marker on Upholstery

I don't know about upholstery but alcohol will remove marker from firm objects. (08/28/2007)

By Pat

Permanent Marker on Upholstery

Simple Green full strength: then steam clean with clear water to remove residue. Worked remarkably... no pun intended.(09/23/2007)

By Suz

Permanent Marker on Upholstery

My 2 1/2 yr old daughter got a hold of a black permanent marker and "decorated" our tan sofa. I was ill about it because we had only had it about 6 months. I tried several things unsuccessfully and then tried '2 part Resolve Carpet Cleaner' without using my carpet cleaner. After squeezing it on, we scrubbed it with a scrub brush and it came out completely.

(10/21/2007) (10/21/2007)

By marybeth

Permanent Marker on Upholstery

So my son is two years old. I'm over at my boyfriends house and my son got marker on his microfiber sectional. It was about 1 long and 1/2 wide area. I tried hair spray, Oxy Clean, Dawn dish washing soap and warm water, upholstery cleaner and tooth brush, oh yeah and elbow grease. It seems to be working but I'm having a steamer cleaner professional come and clean just to make sure it doesn't set in. Anything else I can try? Embarrassed. Somer (10/25/2007)

By

How can my daughter remove permanent orange marker from her beige couch?

Mary from Sterling Heights MI

Answers:

Hairspray

Hairspray removed permanent marker from my leather furniture. Thanks for saving my couch!

By Gabi

Alcohol Based Hairspray

I used Suave alcohol based hairspray to get black marker out of my tan microfiber couch and it seems to have worked, however when I was scrubbing some of the dye used on the upholstery came off on my rag. I'll know in the morning if the damage is permanent when the whole thing has dried.

By Mack

How do I get Sharpie marker out of upholstery?

By Sally from Minneapolis, MN

Feedback:

Amodex

You can visit the sharpie website and look for an answer there, one product they suggest is Amodex.
Good Luck.

By Lisa7567