Hydrangea Not Blooming After Pruning

My housemate cut my old wood hydrangea back to the ground 2-3 years ago, and after sternly making sure he never does it again (!) I have waited and watched for it to bloom once again. So far it hasn't. I don't fertilize it, and we've had plenty of rain this year, it gets plenty enough sun, but there it sits in all its leafy green glory, refusing to put out a single blossom. How long after such a hard pruning will it take for my poor hydrangea to bloom once again? Would bone meal help?

Best Answer

My plant book says if they are pruned wrong it can take 3 years to come out of it. Meanwhile, I would fertilize it.

You need to prune it after it's done flowering for the season. If done before, it will retard the pruning for a while.