Hydrangea Not Blooming

I have 2 "Endless Summer" hydrangea plants. They are planted about 20 inches apart so they get the same water and sun. Both had blossoms last year. This year, one is full of blossoms and the other does not have one, not even a bud. Both are the same size and full green. Any ideas?

By Joann G.

Best Answer

I'm not sure where you are located, but we had early hot weather in March, which caused my Endless Summer to bud out early and then we got several killing frosts in April and May which froze all the buds off. The best way to ensure your Endless Summer will bloom is to cover the plant completely with shredded leaves or straw for the winter and don't remove the protection until mid-late May.

Hi Adina! I agree with Adina. The exact same thing happened to my Endless Summer.

They also are heavy feeders so next year you might want to feed them with an acidic fertilizer.

Anonymous

I have a hydrangea that in the past was healthy and productive. This year the flowers are few and the leaves are turning brown. Can I save it?