Hydrogen Peroxide to Remove Pet Urine Odor

Many years ago a vet tech suggested using hydrogen peroxide to remove pet odors from carpet, rather than buying the all too expensive store bought cleaners. I gave it a try and have been hooked ever since. Test an area of the carpeting/upholstery first, then soak the area you're treating with peroxide. Let it dry completely. The odor won't disappear until it is completely dry so don't be impatient, give it time. If it's a stubborn/very strong odor, you may need to repeat the process, but when you're done, the odor will be completely gone and you will have saved a lot of $$.

I used a mixture of peroxide and baking soda to get cat urine smell out of my hardwood floors after my renter moved out. she had let her cats use the floor as a litterbox -ewww! we thought we'd have to replace the flooring.

I sprinkled baking soda on the floor, wet it liberally with peroxide and scrubbed the floor with an old broom. I let it sit for a couple of hours and then mopped it up with plain water and let it dry.

Remember that "test first"- One drop of peroxide on my carpet and the spot is still there, years later. Just a warning.

Hi Abigail,
I just googled how to get rid of urine smell on wood and saw your comment here. I had a bleached spot on carpet and used a magic marker to color the spot - worked like a charm.

(the markers I use are a set of 36 Bic permanent markers from Staples) I probably use the markers once a month to color clothing, scratched picture frames, chair cushions, etc. Hope this helps the spot on your carpet. :-)

What about blankets and sheets? Should I just spray the area where the cat peed on it and just let it sit?

With blankets and sheets, Id just put them in the washer...

I would spray it as a pretreatment and then just launder by washer and dryer.

Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetDecember 4, 2014
🎉
😷
🎄
Generated 2020-12-25 10:05:21 in 803 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Hydrogen-Peroxide-to-Remove-Pet-Urine-Odor.html