Identifying Silver Jewelry

Determining the quality of the silver you have, isn't always easy. This guide is about identifying silver jewelry.

There are definitely bargains to be found at your local thrift store. If you know how to look, you may come upon a lovely piece of silver hiding under that tarnish. This is a guide about finding silver at thrift shops.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

When shopping thrift stores and garage sales, it is nice to be able to recognize if an item is made of silver. This is a guide about, "How can I tell if something is made of silver?".

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about determining silver plate vs. sterling silver. There are marks on the bottom of silver pieces that with the help of the internet, can tell you whether it is sterling or not.

I have an old silver bracelet that was in my mom's jewelry box. I am pretty sure it is from Holland, but I don't know anything about it. The back middle piece has engraved characters, the left one looks like a capital K, the next figure is unreadable because of soldering (I think) and the last 4 are numbers.

Not sure if the first one is a 1, but the others read 878. Anyone have any ideas?

Answers

Best Answer

This is a lovely piece!

My first go to when trying to figure out silver is to take a magnet to it. Typically (but not always) the magnet does not stick, it COULD be silver. If the magnet sticks, it is usually (NOT ALWAYS, but USUALLY) NOT silver. Could be plated.

There is some info online about Dutch silver markings, but they all seem to be symbols, so that doesn't help

www.925-1000.com/Fnetherlands_Date_Code.html

It is hard to tell from the top pix if this is the front or back of the piece. There is a bracelet that sold online in 2015 for $73 that looks similar auction.catawiki.com/.../1189445-antique-19th-century-silver...

If that matches, that may give you some info.

That said...if you are valuing it to sell for wearing, you may want to take it to a reputable antique store that specializes in jewelry and get a bid. They will generally give you 1/8 to 1/4 retail value...meaning what they would sell it for.

If you want to sell it for scrap, you can go to a reputable place...I only use Treasure Hunt, and they will give you the value based on weight and silver value for the week. Last I looked silver was low...so you may not get as much as you would like.

If you want info for insurance...once you find if it is silver or not, you can talk to your agent about how to cover it for replacement value if lost or damaged. I am thinking it would fit into your regular coverage vs. a special rider, but they are the experts.

Thanks for sharing the photo! It is really neat!

I tried to sell some silver jewelry that was rejected by the "dealer". They did not stick to my magnet and were tarnished, so I thought they would be eligible. What is wrong with this theory?

By Ann from Central OR

Answers

True sterling silver jewelry will be marked either "Sterling" or "925".

It is probably on silver plated.