Identifying Small Brown Flying Bugs

Can anyone tell me what kind of small brown bug or insect flies? At first I thought it was a baby roach, but I read baby roaches don't fly so I'm just super confused.

It looks like a beetle that flies. I would use an all-purpose insecticide.

Anonymous

Without knowing how many legs it has, I am guessing.

To me, it looks like either a common drug store or a cigarette beetle (see the pictures to see if you think one of them matches yours) www.pantrypest.com/drugstore-beetles.html

If you still can't tell, jar one up, seal it good and take it to a hardware store or garden center to have them ID it. They can tell you the best way to get rid of them.

If it is one of these two, they are common in home pantries and are attracted to food or tobacco products respectively. Neither one is particularly harmful to people, but they are icky.

Vacuuming them up (and tossing the vacuum bag) is a quick way to get rid of them if you have only a few. Keep your products (pantry items or tobacco products) sealed and in cool dry places so they aren't attracted to their food sources.

Hope this helps!

For some reason my original response didn't post.

Without seeing how many legs they have, I am guessing they are either drug store or cigarette beetles (see the pix to see if your match). www.pantrypest.com/drugstore-beetles.html

Both are harmless, but pesky. Vacuuming them up is the best way to get rid of just a few (dump the bag immediately). They are attracted to food (or tobacco) depending on which it is--if it is one of these two, which it looks a lot like the tobacco one).

If they don't match, jar up one and take it to a hardware store or garden shop for a positive ID and they can tell you the best ways to be rid of them!

Best prevention is too keep your pantry (or tobacco) in containers with lids in cool dry places.

Hope this helps!

Ok so i recently had my laptop fixed and the person that fixed it fixes them in his home so i cant help but thinking that maybe one of those crawled in there because when i started using it all of a sudden i saw those bugs. So far i killed 5 of them and i counted the legs.. It has 6. And after i put my laptop in a bag i havent seen these pests anymore!! Thank u so much it does look like a cigarette beetle! I had no idea these even existed!!!

There are, what seems to me, zillions of beetle types in the world.

The two I shared are really common ones and they come into houses to eat.

It does sound like you may have "caught" them from your laptop repair person. You may want to take the laptop and bag outside far from the house and VERY gently shake them out.

If you only had a few critters, you most likely don't have an infestation. They were probably just hitchhikers.

If you start seeing dozens, then you may want to talk to a garden center or hardware store about a way to be rid of them...or if you have a home extension service or a college with an ag program, they can give you natural methods (my preference since we have a dog).

An example of home extension/ag site is linked here--I am NOT a PSU grad....but this groups does do good work! ento.psu.edu/.../cigarette-beetle

Thank u once again! I will definitely do that!