Identifying Small Brown Bugs

Category Bugs
Determining what kind of insect pest you have, will help you find the best way to get rid of them. This guide is about identifying small brown bugs.

Does anyone know what kind of bug this is? And how to get rid of it? I keep finding them in the bathtub. They are very tiny and slow moving. I can not tell if they have wings. Here are some pictures. It was hard to get a picture since they are so little.

Answers

Best Answer

Looks like silverfish. They like water and paper.

en.m.wikipedia.org/.../Silverfish

Prevention is the best medicine! A dehumidifier helps, as does getting rid of paper and cardboard. There is a good natural, safe way to get rid of them described here:

www.apartmenttherapy.com/silverfish-how-to-get-rid-of-them...

I have been seeing these small brown bugs in my apartment. Now I have found them in my bed. They are small thin brown bugs and when I smash them they ooze brown stuff. They are not bed bugs. How can I find out what they are and how to get rid of them?

Answers

Put some in a plastic bag. Seal well. Take to your local health department or even a garden center. Don't crush them.

If I ere you I would follow Judy's advise, or go to an exterminator, especially if they have a diy exterminator shop in your area. Many exterminators actually give a free consult.

Aside from that, websites like this can help you find out what they are. http://www.inse  rg/true-bugs.asp

One thing you want to make sure is that it's not a deer tick! Apparently they can resemble the thing you found. Here's a thread that discuss other types of bugs it could be http://bedbugge  od-when-squished

You can also contact your local Agricultural Agency (just Google this with your zip and you will find their web page).
Send them an email with a photo and any information you have about how many are you seeing, where do you see them, when did you first see them, what happened in your home (new plants indoors, groceries, clothing changes, etc.) days before first seeing these bugs. They will also want to know their approximate size as well as at least one good close-up photo.

Take them and a photo to your local state university extension. Master Gardeners have training in identifying bugs. Find your local extension and call them.

I would recommend your local extension office, or you local ffa/ag instructor at the high school. You said you were in an apartment. Unless you own the building, that would indicate you have a landlord.

I would talk to the landlord. If you have them, most likely others in the building do as well, and it probably needs to be treated, at the landlords expense.

I have been finding these bugs on my dog near his butt and back area. He wears his flee collar all the time so does anyone have any idea what bug this is and why all of a sudden I'm finding them?

Can anyone help me with identifying this type of bug? There are a ton of them around the floor boards all around the room. I clean it all up and they are right back the next day!

This room isn't sealed very well from the outdoors also. Thank you.

Can anyone tell me what kind of small brown bug or insect flies? At first I thought it was a baby roach, but I read baby roaches don't fly so I'm just super confused.

I have these brown bugs that are small, but I can see them crawling on my bed. I see they are in my bathroom too. I don't know what to do. We tried bed bug spray even though they don't look like them, but the spray doesn't work.

They go away for 2 weeks then it seems they come back. What do I do?

I found some bugs in my son's bedding today. I was afraid they were bed bugs, but after looking at some pics I am pretty sure they are not. I would still like to know what they are.

They are about 4mm long, elongated, dark brown on the ends and light brown or cream in the middle, but they are not segmented. They have a lot of legs. They kind of remind me of a pill bug, but much smaller and a different color, or maybe a weevil, but I did not find them around food. Please help.

By DJ

Answers

Except for the size, they might be carpet beetles. You don't mention where you live, and that could narrow it down a little.

Good luck!

Thanks. They do look like the carpet beetle larvae pictures I found. I put the three I found in a jar and am going to try to feed them until they mature to make sure that is what they are. In the meantime, I will be cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. :)

If they have more than 6 legs, they are not insects but another sort of critter. Spiders and mites have 8 legs, but I am pretty sure they all have a spidery look to them. If it has more than 8 legs, it is a millipede or centipede of some sort. If they have legs, they are not a larva, but are an adult critter of some sort.

Hello again, I just looked up carpet beetles, and saw the pictures of the larva. I can see why, if this is what you had, you would call the "hairs" legs, as they look like that although they are not really legs. Here is the link to the site that I found that gives some good info about them. We do not have them here in Saskatchewan, thank goodness.
http://www.bugc  arpet_beetle.htm

Still feeding the little buggers. I live in Arkansas, and we have Crepe Myrtles, there are a lot in this area. I found some info on Carpet Beetles and it seems they like Crepe Myrtles, so I guess it is inevitable that we would have a few.

I found a dark brown bug on my bed, I only found one. I took the sheets off and washed my blankets in hot water. I even searched my entire bed to make sure there weren't any other bugs hiding. I'm just wondering if anybody can identify it, it would be very help.

I appreciate all the help that I can get. That was the best I could do with getting pictures of it.

My daughters and I are getting bitten in our beds. At first I thought bed bugs, but can't find evidence. I found the bug, on my hand, just now. And as I look at it it's biting me and it's stinging and then leaves a huge welt. I didn't take a picture of it, but it's tiny, like I could mistake it for a crumb. About the size of a grain of rice, long and thin, dark brown. The bites are super itchy and have a small black dot in the middle after a few days. I'm a single mom and I need to get rid of these things.
Please help.

I found this small bug on the floor in the bathroom and found one in a bag that I emptied on the carpet floor. Any guesses?

Does anyone know what this bug is? I found it on the towel and I noticed there's one in our bathroom sink dead. It's brown. Please help. It's not a bed bug, right?

Answers

The picture of the bug is too small to identify. A bed bug is a bit larger and fatter than this bug. It would help to know your city and state and the date of your picture.

I found this this week. I live in toronto, ontario, canada

With your picture enlarged, it may be possible for an expert to identify the insect. Your picture, or better, a specimen should be presented to your local County Health Department, Vector Control Division.

Whether you have found bed bugs or other, you should be able to get all the information you need, here

http://www1.tor  000071d60f89RCRD

I've seen this bug twice in my room and I'm kinda terrified it's some type of mite. Could someone please tell me what it is?

Thank you.

Does anyone know what these are? They are little brown bugs that look kind of like beetles. They have wings and I think they come in through the back door. They tend to stay in the kitchen and have never been spotted upstairs.

By Megan from OH

Answers

Probably either cigarette beetles or drugstore beetles coming from pantry food; crackers, biscuit mix, even dry dog food. Usually something that is old and been around awhile.

Pantry bugs. I had a horrible infestation years ago in our apartment. You'll need to throw out all flour and pasta items you may have in there. Once your pantry is empty, you can spray insecticide (roach spray will do) to kill them. Scrub the pantry thoroughly with soap and water. It's a good idea to store your pasta items and flour in plastic containers to prevent them to from getting into your food again.

I think this what we call stink bugs. I am infested with them this past summer and this winter . If you squash them, they stink real bad. I don't know how to get rid of them. Help from anyone.

l tried Cedarcide on some ants last summer and was happy to get rid of that problem. It was really annoying the way they crawled onto the windowsill and onto my computer. I just sprayed the windowsill and window and they stopped coming and some died as I sprayed them.

It's supposed to be good for all insects. Haven't had a chance to use it on any other bugs. It is completely non-toxic to people. I ordered it over the internet because I heard an ad on the radio. It's good for use on everything except plants.

I have noticed there are some tiny dark brown oval curved insects in my apartment recently. They are everywhere, in the closet, kitchen, bathrooms, and even on the ceiling. I found 6-7 of them since last week and I have no idea what are they. They don't seem to fly nor jump. They just walk, not really fast and it's easy to catch them. I have a baby and a cat and I am afraid they may cause them some health issues.

Yesterday, I was taking my dogs into the backyard when I saw this, whatever this is all over the outside walls and windows. I kept hosing them off only to come back an hour later to see them there like nothing happened. Now they're getting inside and they bite me whenever they fall on me. Please identify and if there's a cheaper way to get rid of them then an exterminator, then let me know.

I found this thin brown bug crawling on my bed. I've had bed bugs before, but I feel like this is too big to be a bed bug. I found a second one crawling on the carpet a few minutes later. These are the best images I could get of it.
Thanks for the help!

Does anyone know what this bug is? I found it on the towel and I noticed there's one in our bathroom sink dead. It's brown. Please help. I found it this week and I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. This is a larger photo than the original in my first request, hopefully that helps.

Can someone please answer what this bug is? It is tiny you can barely see them. They live in hair on/in body, in walls and carpet, literally I think everywhere. I have searched and searched.

Someone please help.

Load More