Identifying Small Brown Bugs

Category Bugs
Determining what kind of insect pest you have, will help you find the best way to get rid of them. This guide is about identifying small brown bugs.

I have been seeing these small brown bugs in my apartment. Now I have found them in my bed. They are small thin brown bugs and when I smash them they ooze brown stuff. They are not bed bugs. How can I find out what they are and how to get rid of them?

Answers

Put some in a plastic bag. Seal well. Take to your local health department or even a garden center. Don't crush them.

If I ere you I would follow Judy's advise, or go to an exterminator, especially if they have a diy exterminator shop in your area. Many exterminators actually give a free consult.

Aside from that, websites like this can help you find out what they are. http://www.inse  rg/true-bugs.asp

One thing you want to make sure is that it's not a deer tick! Apparently they can resemble the thing you found. Here's a thread that discuss other types of bugs it could be http://bedbugge  od-when-squished

You can also contact your local Agricultural Agency (just Google this with your zip and you will find their web page).

Send them an email with a photo and any information you have about how many are you seeing, where do you see them, when did you first see them, what happened in your home (new plants indoors, groceries, clothing changes, etc.) days before first seeing these bugs. They will also want to know their approximate size as well as at least one good close-up photo.

Take them and a photo to your local state university extension. Master Gardeners have training in identifying bugs. Find your local extension and call them.

I have these brown bugs that are small, but I can see them crawling on my bed. I see they are in my bathroom too. I don't know what to do. We tried bed bug spray even though they don't look like them, but the spray doesn't work.

They go away for 2 weeks then it seems they come back. What do I do?

I found a dark brown bug on my bed, I only found one. I took the sheets off and washed my blankets in hot water. I even searched my entire bed to make sure there weren't any other bugs hiding. I'm just wondering if anybody can identify it, it would be very help.

I appreciate all the help that I can get. That was the best I could do with getting pictures of it.

My daughters and I are getting bitten in our beds. At first I thought bed bugs, but can't find evidence. I found the bug, on my hand, just now. And as I look at it it's biting me and it's stinging and then leaves a huge welt. I didn't take a picture of it, but it's tiny, like I could mistake it for a crumb. About the size of a grain of rice, long and thin, dark brown. The bites are super itchy and have a small black dot in the middle after a few days. I'm a single mom and I need to get rid of these things.

Please help.

Does anyone know what this bug is? I found it on the towel and I noticed there's one in our bathroom sink dead. It's brown. Please help. It's not a bed bug, right?

Answers

The picture of the bug is too small to identify. A bed bug is a bit larger and fatter than this bug.

It would help to know your city and state and the date of your picture.

I found some bugs in my son's bedding today. I was afraid they were bed bugs, but after looking at some pics I am pretty sure they are not. I would still like to know what they are.

They are about 4mm long, elongated, dark brown on the ends and light brown or cream in the middle, but they are not segmented. They have a lot of legs. They kind of remind me of a pill bug, but much smaller and a different color, or maybe a weevil, but I did not find them around food. Please help.

By DJ

Answers

Except for the size, they might be carpet beetles. You don't mention where you live, and that could narrow it down a little.

Good luck!

Thanks. They do look like the carpet beetle larvae pictures I found. I put the three I found in a jar and am going to try to feed them until they mature to make sure that is what they are. In the meantime, I will be cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. :)

If they have more than 6 legs, they are not insects but another sort of critter. Spiders and mites have 8 legs, but I am pretty sure they all have a spidery look to them. If it has more than 8 legs, it is a millipede or centipede of some sort. If they have legs, they are not a larva, but are an adult critter of some sort.

Hello again, I just looked up carpet beetles, and saw the pictures of the larva. I can see why, if this is what you had, you would call the "hairs" legs, as they look like that although they are not really legs. Here is the link to the site that I found that gives some good info about them. We do not have them here in Saskatchewan, thank goodness.
http://www.bugc  arpet_beetle.htm

Still feeding the little buggers. I live in Arkansas, and we have Crepe Myrtles, there are a lot in this area. I found some info on Carpet Beetles and it seems they like Crepe Myrtles, so I guess it is inevitable that we would have a few.

I've seen this bug twice in my room and I'm kinda terrified it's some type of mite. Could someone please tell me what it is?

Thank you.

I found this small bug on the floor in the bathroom and found one in a bag that I emptied on the carpet floor. Any guesses?

Does anyone know what these are? They are little brown bugs that look kind of like beetles. They have wings and I think they come in through the back door. They tend to stay in the kitchen and have never been spotted upstairs.

By Megan from OH

Answers

Probably either cigarette beetles or drugstore beetles coming from pantry food; crackers, biscuit mix, even dry dog food. Usually something that is old and been around awhile.

Pantry bugs. I had a horrible infestation years ago in our apartment. You'll need to throw out all flour and pasta items you may have in there. Once your pantry is empty, you can spray insecticide (roach spray will do) to kill them. Scrub the pantry thoroughly with soap and water. It's a good idea to store your pasta items and flour in plastic containers to prevent them to from getting into your food again.

I think this what we call stink bugs. I am infested with them this past summer and this winter . If you squash them, they stink real bad. I don't know how to get rid of them. Help from anyone.

l tried Cedarcide on some ants last summer and was happy to get rid of that problem. It was really annoying the way they crawled onto the windowsill and onto my computer. I just sprayed the windowsill and window and they stopped coming and some died as I sprayed them.

It's supposed to be good for all insects. Haven't had a chance to use it on any other bugs. It is completely non-toxic to people. I ordered it over the internet because I heard an ad on the radio. It's good for use on everything except plants.

Yesterday, I was taking my dogs into the backyard when I saw this, whatever this is all over the outside walls and windows. I kept hosing them off only to come back an hour later to see them there like nothing happened. Now they're getting inside and they bite me whenever they fall on me. Please identify and if there's a cheaper way to get rid of them then an exterminator, then let me know.

I found this thin brown bug crawling on my bed. I've had bed bugs before, but I feel like this is too big to be a bed bug. I found a second one crawling on the carpet a few minutes later. These are the best images I could get of it.
Thanks for the help!

I keep finding these bugs in my room and I have no clue what they are. Can someone help me please?

I am confused about what kind of bug this is; it looks like a beetle. I've been waking up with bites, but they come and go. I found these in my drawers, they have a little split in the middle and are easy to kill with a little squish. They are brown, I have found a few, but none of them jump. None of them are round, so thats makes me feel better about bed bugs.

What is this bug? It is small, brown, smooth backed, with a small crack down the center. It dies easily when upsidedown.

By Becky from Bryan, OH

Answers

They sound like flour weevils. Go thru your shelves for products containing flour (old cake mix, cereal etc.) Get rid of all of them and store your flour in plastic containers with a tight lid. The weevils come in flour products. If products are left sitting on the shelf long enough they hatch and reproduce. I cleaned out my pantry and never saw them again.

Without a photo it's kind of hard. But here is a google search of a weevil and it it's the right one, you will know.

https://www.goo  1024&bih=677

I found two dead, small light brown, oval shaped bugs in the crease of my mattress and one alive. There is no sign of any other bugs. What could they be?

By Ty from San Diego, CA

Answers

Since I have been seeing on TV there is an epidemic of bedbugs, you might want to take a look at this picture. This is a bedbug. If your bugs look like this you may want to check out the site, as there is lots of info on what to do if you discover them in your home, and how to prevent an infestation in your home. They are easily carried in from motels, movie theaters, etc.

Copy this in your browser to see more information.
http://www.medi  bugs/article.htm

Hope this helps,
Harlean from Arkansas

They are probably bed bugs. Check along the baseboards behind the bed too, at the top of the baseboard. Lift up your mattresses and box springs and check around the bed frame too.

Brenda

At first we found these tiny little bugs in our snake's cage, but we knew right away they were not mites, they were too big and some had wings. We cleaned tho whole thing out and bleached everything in the tank. Now it's been two days and I woke up today and found one on my eyelashes and I'm totally freaking out. I need answers. I've never seen anything like it!

Does anyone know what this bug is? I found it on the towel and I noticed there's one in our bathroom sink dead. It's brown. Please help. I found it this week and I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. This is a larger photo than the original in my first request, hopefully that helps.

I have quite a few tiny little "spiders", orangey brown in colour, in my toilet bowl. When I flush, they come back and seem to be trying to get out. What are they and are they dangerous/do they bite?
Thanks.

By Janet S.

Answers

I don't know what they could be but I would spray right now! Yikes, never heard of such a thing!

I have little brown bugs around my toilet. They move very slowly and look like ticks.

By jim

Answers

If you can post a picture of one it will be easier. If you dont have that ability capture one in a bottle and take it to your local agricultural office,home improvement place or find someone big into bugs (I talked to a guy at a University once about praying mantis).

Load More