General AdviceLegal

Income Tax and Child Custody

I have full custody for my 12 year old and my son who is 20 years old, he has disability. Both they live with me.
My daughter has the retirement from her parent instead of child support. Can he claim them on his income tax?

By Jenny

Which parent are you wondering about? Are you getting any child support? If so go and speak to your local Child Support Enforcement Office. When I got divorced I wanted to go after alimony, but my attorney told me I didn't want alimony, but I did want child support. If I received alimony, I would have to count it as my income on my income taxes. If I got child support only, my ex-husband he would have to count the child support as his income and pay income taxes on that. I did get to claim the kids on my income taxes. This is something you really need some type of legal advice on.

We can't answer this for you as the rules vary considerably from country to country, and even from state to state, province to province. You should be able to phone for information to your Internal Revenue (here in Canada it is Canada Revenue) where they can tell you the rules for eligibility.

Here we have a 1 -800 number that we can phone and talk to an adviser. There is no charge. I would expect you have the same.