Information on an Old Reel Mower?

0
Share
12
Save
Follow
Print

Information on an Old Reel Mower - rusty reel mowerI'm trying to find out anything about this mower I picked up. The name is worn off, but says Lady, model T on the wheel.

Information on an Old Reel Mower

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

If no one here knows, go to the forum at the Old Lawn Mower Club. www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/

Ok thanks

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 196 Feedbacks

Perhaps this gentleman can help you:

reellawnmower.com/.../

It is a cool piece! Are you in the US? I have not seen one like this in the US...so I am curious to learn more.

Post back with an update!

Yes, in Indiana found it at a sale and couldn't find any info on the internet so I thought I would reach out and see if anyone knew anything.

Post back what you learn.

That lawn mower group and the person whose name I shared are both UK based. It is surprising to me that there are not more US based collectors/groups, especially in your fair state, since if history is right in my brain, there is some history with push mower development back in the late 1800s in Indiana.

Post back what you learn! I am always interested in learning something new!

I have read alot about them, my neighbor is 81 and his father used to sharpen these type mowers but he said he had never seen that type before

The wheels fascinate me! I wonder if they were repurposed from something else. I have been doing some digging but it was a dead end. Can't wait to learn more.

After some digging this is what I found.The Eclipse Lawn Mower Co., was started by Fred Adams in 1900 in a barn along the town's Main Street. In 1920, the company built its own foundry and woodshop.

In 1960, Hahn Inc., of Evansville, Ind., bought the company and moved the manufacturing operation to Evansville, closing Eclipse's chapter of the city's history, according to former Dispatch columnist and current editor Todd Welvaert.

The Old Lawnmower Club was formed in the United Kingdom in 1990. According to its Web site, In its early days, the American Eclipse Company made a sidewheel lawnmower called the "Lady", according to the Web site of the Old Lawnmower Club. In the 1950s, it changed with the times, producing different powered mowers.

This is what is on the handle but it's half wore off.

WOW! This is great info! Local history to your state, which is even better! Maybe a museum would want your piece!

I love it how so many every day objects have such amazing stories to tell.

Are you going to keep and restore or try to sell?

Not sure I hate to give it up it's so neat just to have it. It's still cuts pretty good too.

I miss my old push mower. I found it in the trash when I moved into my house many years ago and it was quite old but worked like a charm. I used it for almost 15 more years before it literally fell apart. I can't remember, but I think the pieces are in the garage. I need to check and see...maybe someone could put it back together.

I think the push mowers are the best, but since hubby now does the grass, the mower was his choice--which was not a push mower. They are just so much better for the yard and the environment, but I get the ease of the gas one he picked.

Consumer Advice Collectibles Reel MowersSeptember 9, 2019
🎆
😎
🌻
Generated 2021-06-27 22:41:38 in 960 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Information-on-an-Old-Reel-Mower.html