Identifying an Old Reel Mower?

Category Miscellaneous
Determining manufacturer and the history of an old push lawn mower can help you determine if it has any value. This is a page about identifying an old reel mower.

Can anyone help me identify the age and/or brand of this mower?

There are no visible markings anywhere on it other than the size of the blade width in the close-up photo.

Thank you in advance for any information you may be able to provide.

Answers

Best Answer

Most mowers like this have the marking on the wheel of the mowers. If the wheels were changed out it makes it even hard to identify the mower. The best way to find out more about this mower is to register a lawnmower forum and post the information there. On these forums, there are a lot of collectors who collect these older mowers and know quite a bit about them.

I would post this on one of the many lawnmower forums and I am sure someone there could help out a lot better than we can. We normally will do a search on the item from the information that is given to us. Without this information, it makes it so hard to find this item or information for you.

Best Answer

Vintage unbranded lawn mowers were usually made to sell to a variety of stores and the store just used their name on a tag so this one could be any 'brand'.
It would take collectors to provide any information about mowers like this and they cannot always tell from just pictures but they may be able to tell an approximate age.

Does your mower have steel wheels?
Any old paint left?

You can ask your question on one of the forums and maybe someone will answer.
You will always have to join the group and more pictures would be better, especially of the wheels.

www.mylawnmowerforum.com/.../

gardentractortalk.com/.../

I'm trying to find out anything about this mower I picked up. The name is worn off, but says Lady, model T on the wheel.

Answers

If no one here knows, go to the forum at the Old Lawn Mower Club. www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/

Perhaps this gentleman can help you:

reellawnmower.com/.../

It is a cool piece! Are you in the US? I have not seen one like this in the US...so I am curious to learn more.

Post back with an update!

Ok thanks

Yes, in Indiana found it at a sale and couldn't find any info on the internet so I thought I would reach out and see if anyone knew anything.

Post back what you learn.

That lawn mower group and the person whose name I shared are both UK based. It is surprising to me that there are not more US based collectors/groups, especially in your fair state, since if history is right in my brain, there is some history with push mower development back in the late 1800s in Indiana.

Post back what you learn! I am always interested in learning something new!

I have a Special. No.55 Ballbearing reel mower. I am trying to determine the value and maker's identification?

Answers

Mowparts.com has the prices for old and new mowers.

I HAVE A MOWER LOOKS JUST LIKE YOURS . YOU FIND OUT ANY PRICE RANGES, I AM LOOKING TO SELL MINE .

I'm thinking of restoring it. I can't find anything similar on eBay or reverse image search. I love the wheels! Any help identifying it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Can anyone identify the manufacturer of this old reel mower I recently inherited?

We are having trouble identifying the make of this reel mower. It has steel wheels and a name on the handle S- - -s, which is hard to make out. Any thoughts?

I would like to know the year of manufacture and model name or # of this Pennsylvania lawn mower?

Answers

If no one here knows, you can post your question on the forum at the old lawn mower club here www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/

You can post your question here and someone may be able to help you with dates or model number but they do not answer questions on value.

Be sure you show picture of brand as well as your other pictures.
Also provide any information you may have about how long you've had it (or know where it has been).
Looks like the catcher is new?

www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/forum

I am wanting to know how to identify an old reel mower I found. It says the model no. is 121-8189. I don't see much more other than cv6, looks to be red and gold. Where do I look and what should I look for?
Thanks.

Answers

This is a British website, and I think they can help you. Upload a picture of the mower to them:

www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/.../generalhelp

Truthfully; it is very difficult to identify old mowers but a brand name can help find age etc.
Generally the best information is found on forums but there is just not a lot of interest in old mowers in the US so forums are scarce or non-existent.
You might try asking about your mower on this site but all clubs will require membership but most are free.

www.mylawnmowerforum.com/.../

the OldLawnMower Club is located in UK and I do not believe their membership is free. Also; here is a statement about mowers in the US.

We can only provide basic advice on North American lawn mowers made before 1960. If we cannot help directly we will pass your query to someone else in our club. We are unable to provide any help for any North American mowers made after 1960.

Here is a link to their web site:

www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/.../overseas-membership-form

Sorry - Hopefully, another member will be able to provide more information.

I am looking for any info to help identify this lawnmower I found in the wood in New Hampshire. I know it's worthless, but would be interested in seeing what it is and what one that's in good condition would be worth.
Thanks!

Answers

mowpart.com has information about all kinds and makes of mowers.

I believe you may have enough information to make a general inquiry at this site. They have all kinds of vintage mower information.
You should write down everything you can read from the part you have and send an email to this site:

Consumer Advice Collectibles MiscellaneousApril 25, 2019
🐛
🌻
😎
📓
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Identifying-an-Old-Reel-Mower-3.html