RugsCrafts

Instructions for Making Recycled Woolen Mats

Category Rugs

When I was in America some years ago I met a lady who had made beautiful mats for her home out of woolen recycled skirts, etc. She also used a wooden hook of some kind. The mats were all sizes from a teapot holder to a mat that covered the entire floor of her home.

I would appreciate it if anyone knows anything about it. It was an ancient craft.

By Vivian B

They are called rag rugs and are crocheted. The material is cut into strips and sewn together and then rolled into balls for convenience in handling. I think if you look for rag rugs on the 'net, you will find more information than I have to give as I don't remember the details. Try some of the craft sites or crochet sites. Good hunting.

These are called rag rugs and are made from material that has been cut into strips and sewn together. The strips can be crocheted or braided and stitched together. Check the 'net for rag rugs or braided rugs. I don't remember much about them except my grandmothers made them; this was during the Depression. My mother-in-law made a woolen one to place in front of her fireplace; it was braided and sewn together. They can be expensive when made from new material, or inexpensive when made from old clothes. Hope this helps you.

You can Crochet, knit, hook, braid them . all are made from strips cut and sewn, to make longer strips .The cheapest way to make woolen ones is to collect old wool clothes and cut into strips.A friend of mine made a room size one by braiding, then sewing it together. all from old clothes took her months but it turned out beautiful there are many patterns on the net, just type in rag rugs or woolen braided rugs.