Insurance Tip for Better Coverage

We recently changed health/vision/dental insurance companies. Our new insurance carrier denied several vision and dental claims that according to their handbook should be covered. I called to ask them why. They told me that they did not pay on those particular services until after we had coverage for 12 months. Further explanation brought forth the fact that if I could prove we had prior coverage and that our old insurance company covered those services, then they could waive the 12 month rule. This is to prevent people from changing insurance companies just to get things covered.

Luckly, I was able to call my old insurance and get a certificate of coverage sent to me for each family member. I also had my old insurance handbook. I had to copy the certificates and the pages with the coverage and send them to the new company. Now, they are reviewing and paying on the previously denied claims.

So bottom line, when you change companies, call to see what the practice is regarding coverage and waiting times. Save your old insurance handbooks and information until you are sure you won't need it to prove prior coverage to your new company.

Source: personal experience in the summer of 2016