Investing in Annuities

Category Investing
Annuities can be costly for you and very profitable for the company selling them, and may not be the best place to put your savings. This is a guide about investing in annuities.

Are Fidelity annuities a good investment?

By Bill Kroger from Surprise, AZ

Answers

Best Answer

A better alternative is to search for the best CD rates, and then ask for the interest to be paid monthly. I got one at a local credit union that paid better than anything online.

Monthly or annual interest payment is useful since the best rates are on longer terms. If some of the money won't be needed for a while, then put that money in another CD and let the interest compound.

Look for information on "laddering CDs" You can divide the money any way you want. When I bought my last car instead of paying cash I bought 4 CDs, one maturing every year while I had car payments. It was enough to pay the car payments, and since the interest on the car was less than the CDs were paying, I earned about $1000 by doing it this way.

Also, never let a CD rollover. Everytime one matures, do your research again. If nothing else, call the bank that has the CD and ask which rates are best right now. That changes constantly, and if you let it rollover you will not earn the best interest.

Over years this will add up to quite a lot of money, and that's why they do it. One year For example, you buy a 12 month CD. The following year the bank has a better rate on 13 months or 15 months. Buy a 48 month CD, when that matures the best rate might be for 39 months. Makes no sense except that it makes banks a LOT of money.

Annuities are costly for you and very profitable for the company selling them. One somebody tried to sell me makes the money disappear immediately from your ownership, and then pays you something every month. This is only a good idea if you're going into a nursing home tomorrow and need to lower your assets. Otherwise it's the next best thing to legal robbery.

Salesmen make them sound very attractive, don't they? But ask about costs and they get very cagey. As Pikka says, be wary of financials. You're better off with FDIC insured CDs right now. I wish I'd invested in CDs years ago instead of mutual funds, I'd be better off now.

Best Answer

One big tip if you have money to invest please find a member of the National Association Personal Financial Advisors in your vicinity. They don't make commision on investments, just a fee for their services. Just

Google them & go to their site. Good Luck

I'd be very careful of investing in anything right now.

I recommend bankimplode.com to check on your own bank's current soundness.That's to make sure your money is safe where it is.

Then I'd google for info about things you should know about annuities. You could write someone at marketwatch.com.
The columnists there could steer you to questions you should answer before investing.

Financials of all kinds are suspect in my opinion.

You might also google for information on Fidelity itself. Like, Is Fidelity having problems? Fidelity under investigation? That sort of thing.