Add to GuideAsk a Question

Is It OK To Use Moldy Cheese?

Category Food Safety
Depending on the type of cheese, it may be okay to eat it once the mold has been removed. This is a guide about, "Is it ok to use moldy cheese?".
Ad

Solutions

Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!

By 0 found this helpful
August 23, 2006
If your block of cheese has gotten moldy, don't worry. Just slice the mold off and then you can use the rest of the cheese. It is very safe.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Editor's Note: Here are some guidelines that can be found the FDA's website.

FOOD HANDLING REASON
Hard cheese
(not cheese where mold is part of the processing)
Use. Cut off at least 1 inch around and below the mold spot (keep the knife out of the mold itself so it will not cross-contaminate other parts of the cheese). After trimming off the mold, re-cover the cheese in fresh wrap. Mold generally cannot penetrate deep into the product.
Cheese made with mold
(such as Roquefort, blue, Gorgonzola, Stilton, Brie, Camembert)
Discard soft cheeses such as Brie and Camembert if they contain molds that are not a part of the manufacturing process. If surface mold is on hard cheeses such as Gorgonzola and Stilton, cut off mold at least 1 inch around and below the mold spot and handle like hard cheese (above). Molds that are not a part of the manufacturing process can be dangerous.
Soft cheese
Ad


(such as cottage, cream cheese, Neufchatel, chevre, Bel Paese, etc.) Crumbled, shredded, and sliced cheeses (all types)
Discard Foods with high moisture content can be contaminated below the surface. Shredded, sliced, or crumbled cheese can be contaminated by the cutting instrument. Moldy soft cheese can also have bacteria growing along with the mold.
Comment Was this helpful? Yes

Comments

August 24, 20060 found this helpful
Top Comment

After you trim the mold off of hard cheese, (Cheddar, Jack, etc.,) wipe all the surfaces of the cheese with a paper towel or cheese cloth saturated with vinegar. Use what you need & then wrap your left over cheese in the vinegar saturated towel or cloth, place in a FRESH plastic bag and squeeze out as much air as you can before sealing.

Ad

Your cheese will keep for a considerable time afterward and the vinegar doesn't make the cheese taste any different.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Related Content
Categories
Food and Recipes Food Tips Food SafetyAugust 10, 2016
Guides
More
🎂
Birthday Ideas!
🌻
Gardening
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Instagram
Contests!
Newsletters
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Categories
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2018 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Published by ThriftyFun.

Generated 2018/09/13 22:19:42 in 3 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️
Loading Something Awesome!