Making Vegan Mac and "Cheese"

Category Vegan
Macaroni and cheese is a classic favorite for many, but is not considered vegan due to the milk and cheese. Use cashews and flavorings to mimic cheese in this dairy free version.

I made this vegan dish for two very important people in my life; my father who literally thinks cheese is poison, and my best friend who is on a vegan journey for health reasons. It's very quick to make. The sauce is done in a food processor or blender in the same amount of time it takes to boil the macaroni. The taste is exquisite. I actually prefer this over regular cheese versions. I hope you give it a try!

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Yield: 4 servings

• 1 pkg (12oz) pasta
  • 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 1 hour, then drained
  • 1/2 cup water (more if needed)
  • 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 3 Tbsp non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
  • 2 Tbsp white miso paste
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp onion powder
  • 6 Tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1 tsp mustard
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne powder (optional)

1. Cook pasta per package directions.
  2. Advertisement

3. Blend the rest of the ingredients together in a blender or food processor. Start with 1/2 a cup of water while you puree. Add more if needed.
  4. Do a taste test before removing from blender. I decided I wanted a touch more garlic powder and nutritional yeast.
  5. Drain the pasta.
  6. Pour the "cheese" mixture into the bottom of a large serving bowl. Grate in fresh nutmeg.
  7. Advertisement

8. Toss in cooked pasta. Mix well and sprinkle with cayenne powder, if desired. Serve immediately.

In These Pages
Food and Recipes Recipes VeganApril 21, 2020
😷
👒
👔
🐛
🌻

Generated 2020-04-23 05:54:14 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️