Simple Vegan Recipes

Category Vegan
Whether you are adopting a totally vegan lifestyle or want to vary up your menu by adding these healthy alternative meal options, there is a plethora of simple vegan recipes to choose from. This page contains simple vegan recipes.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

So clearly I'm going through a phase of experimenting with vegan or plant-based cooking, and I wanted to share. There are many reasons why someone might not want to eat dairy, or butter - everything from doctor's orders, taste to lifestyle commitment. As such it is good to have a recipe for a great alternative, especially if on top of that you want to stay away from canola oil, soybean oil, etc.

Source: http://www.forkandbeans.com/2015/07/11/vegan-butter-substitute/

• 1.5 cup coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 4 tsp soy lecithin

1. Warm up coconut oil in a bain-marie to make more usable.
  2. Advertisement

3. Add all ingredients together.
  4. Mix all ingredients in a blender for around a minute. Line a container with wax paper to store the vutter/putter.
  5. Put in the fridge. It will harden and will remain hard as long as it's kept in the fridge.

Is there a category for vegan food? Have l missed it?

Answers

There is none. You can look for meatless meals.

Use vegan cheese and non-dairy milk as substitutes if the recipe has them.

Here on this site, they have a few vegan recipes but you have to really read them and the ingredients. They do not have a complete section on this site that specializes in vegan recipes.

You could search online or even Pinterest, Lots of options! Then if you come up with any you could share with us on here. :)

Ex:
- www.pinterest.com/.../
- www.pinterest.com/.../

Category for vegan food?
Not sure about a 'category' but there are lost of sites dedicated to vegan foods and most sites have loads of recipes.

From my experience vegans seem to have the most trouble getting enough calcium and vitamin D so be sure to keep track of your daily intake as these are vital to maintaining good health.

Check some of these out:

www.delish.com/.../

www.ilovevegan.com/.../

www.vegan.com/.../

www.healthline.com/.../foods-vegans-eat#section3

Here are some right on this site:

www.thriftyfun.com/Simple-Vegan-Recipes.html

and here is my favourite vegan cake recipe!

www.thriftyfun.com/Vegan-Pineapple-Banana-Cake.html

We have not recieved too many strickly vegan recipes here at ThriftyFun. I see you have been given a couple of links. We do have a vegetarian section and some of those recipes might be vegan.

www.thriftyfun.com/.../index.html

I will take your suggestion under consideration and see about adding a Vegan section in the future. If you like to cook, you could always start off the category with a couple of favorite recipes. :)

Are you asking for general categories for vegan food?

There are so many websites out there!!

We have people with various food needs in our family and someone turned us on to this site:

cookieandkate.com/.../

The challenge we also have is nut allergies in the family and since so many of these have nuts as the base, it was hard to find things that met everyone's needs.

Happy cooking!!

Have you tried to substitute pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds for nuts? Most people are allergic to tree nuts but can tolerate seeds fine. Just an idea. :)

Hi Jess. We do use sunflower seeds when we can find the one brand that is not processed in a plant with nuts. Ollie's does not always carry them. Most pumpkin seeds are processed in a plant with nuts or are the kind that are heavily salted so we have to avoid those.

Is tough out there for folks with allergies, sensitivities and digestive issues. I do have a pesto recipe I want to try with sunflower seeds, so this post was a good reminder.

Thank you all for your response. I am familiar with quite a number of vegan sites, l just thought there'd one here too but that's ok. Thanks.

Our youngest daughter has gone vegan. 2 others are vegetarian which I can now cope with, but vegan? I have seen some recipes, but so many of the ingredients needed I have not seen in this country (Ireland). Can anybody post a simple main course that I could make her for her Christmas dinner?
Many thanks in anticipation. By the way, she's not a baby, she is 42.

By Deirdre

Answers

I don't know if your daughter likes pasta but if I were vegan this is something I would eat as a main course for Christmas because it is oh so yummy. The tomatoes are Christmas red and you could either use either spinach pasta or green food coloring in regular pasta cooking water for Christmas green pasta. When buying the pasta be sure to read the ingredient label to make sure it does not include eggs or butter. Also, you can make this ahead, store the pasta and sauce separately in the fridge, when ready to heat just pile desired amount of pasta and sauce on a plate and microwave to heat for 1 to 3 minutes (depending on your microwave). Oh, and just omit the parmesan garnish for your daughter :-)

Deeli's Pasta Alla Checca

4 vine ripened tomatoes, seeded and diced
4 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt to taste
Fresh parmesan cheese to taste, finely shredded
1 lb angel hair pasta or fettucini

Combine tomatoes, garlic, basil and olive oil in a lidded plastic storage container. Stir in salt. Cover and sit at room temperature for two to four hours, gently stirring once or twice.

Cook pasta until al dente according to package directions. Drain. Place hot pasta on serving plates, top with sauce, garnish with parmesan cheese and serve.

I found this recipe on food.com taken from Betty Crocker cookbook. I've modified it to be vegan

2 large courgettes
1 small onion chopped
2 Tbsp. oil
1/2 envelope (or more, depending on size of courgettes) PAXO stuffing mix

Scoop out pulp from courgettes and chop fine. Fry the pulp and onions in the oil until soft. add the paxo and mix well.
Fill the courgette cavity with the stuffing and bake in a moderate (180') oven till courgettes are softened and stuffing has browned. Serve with vegetables of your choice and roast potatoes.

Hope this helps.

I just want to thank the readers who supplied vegan recipies in answer to my request, They were very helpful and I am delighted to say since then. She has discovered many vegan recipies and enjoys trying them out.
Again, many thanks
Deirdre

I'm looking for a vegan "meat" loaf that has cashews and or peanuts in it. I had it a few years ago. It was delicious, but the lady would not give me her recipe.

By Patricia from Montreal, Quebec

Answers

Here's a recipe I found at mercyforanimals.org

Thanksgiving meatloaf

3 cups of cooked lentils
3 cups cooked millet
3 cups steamed brown rice
1 cup whole wheat bread, crumbled (3 slices)
1/2 cup dry oatmeal or cornmeal
1/2 cup almond or cashews, ground fine
1/4 cup sunflower seeds, ground fine (optional)
approximately 3/4 cup of tomato juice
1 Tbsp. of oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped tomato
1 heaping Tbs of sage
1/2 tsp celery seed, ground
salt to taste, garlic power (optional)
Directions:

Lightly sauté onions in a mixture of water and oil.

Add celery and tomatoes. Sauté until slightly softened (the celery, if not over-cooked, gives a nice "crunch" to the loaf). Combine all the ingredients and mix well, add bread crumbs and tomato juice to make stiff. Add water if the mixture seems too dry.

Place in lightly oiled loaf pans. Bake at 350° F for 1 hour. Serve with vegan gravy (optional).

here is one I found on this website:
vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7408.0

Thanksgiving "Meat" Loaf 350°
(use vegan versions):

Substitute for 2 eggs (mix 1 TBSP arrowroot powder, 1 Tbsp. corn starch & 4 TBSP water)
1 TBSP soy sauce
1 box medium firm silken tofu (350 g)
3/4 C chopped walnuts
1 packet vegan dried onion soup mix (1.5 oz)
1 tsp oil
1-1/2 C chopped onion
2/4 C chopped celery
2 C chopped mushrooms (use portobello mushrooms for a heartier taste)
1-1/2 tsp each of oregano & basil
1/2 tsp sage
1-1/2 C bread crumbs

Variations: To make it stick together better, try lowering the bread crumbs to 3/4 C & adding one of the following: 1 extra box of tofu or
1 C instant mashed potato flakes or
1 to 1-1/2 C cooked brown rice or 1
1 C burger-style crumbles

Mix egg substitute, soy sauce, tofu & onion soup mix together in blender. Add walnuts & blend 'til smooth.

Saute vegetables 'til onions are transparent (add other diced veggies if you wish - eg. peppers, carrotsetc). Add herbs/spices while vegetables are frying.

Mix blender ingredients, cooked vegetables & bread crumbs together in a large bowl. Press into a greased loaf pan. (OR as user giraelei suggests, "Instead of a loaf pan, I usually use a square cake pan & liberally coat loaf w/ketchup so it gets kind of burnt & caramelized. Yum!")

Bake for 1 hour & 15 mins. Let cool slightly. Turn loaf out & slice. Even the most obstinate meat eaters love it. It is also excellent the next day cold on a sandwich with a bit of mustard.

I thank you very much for you kindness, I will try soon as I purchase what I'm missing.
Thank you, Patricia

Real butter combined with powdered sugar, vanilla, and a bit of milk makes one of the most delicious icings you will ever taste. You can easily swap out the butter and milk with vegan friendly ingredients. This page contains instructions for making real buttercream icing (with vegan option).

Real Buttercream Icing

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This banana coconut french toast recipe is a great treat for vegans. This page shows you how to make vegan banana coconut french toast.

French toast slices in a pan with banana slices.

Food and Recipes Recipes VeganJune 8, 2013
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-27 08:26:02 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️