Jackie's Chicken Salad
I love crisp cold crunchy chicken salad. I like it on a lettuce leaf, in a pita pocket with lettuce & tomato, or topped on a plate of salad. It is a wonderful cold summertime meal, though I do make it once in a while other times of year.
- 2 thin boneless skinless chicken breasts fillets (About 1 pound)
- 1 carton (32 oz.) chicken broth
- celery, chopped (for the broth)
- 1 stalk small onion, chopped (for the broth)
- 1/8 tsp. each; sage, basil, black pepper, salt, thyme, rosemary and a bay leaf (for the broth)
- Hellman's Mayonnaise, add more if you like more mayo
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp celery, minced (in chopper)
- 2 stalks fresh basil leafs, rolled and sliced
- 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled, diced small
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt or Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Using a large saucepan, add chicken broth and thawed rinsed chicken.
- Add the seasonings, celery and onion to the broth. Let this boil for about 30 minutes until chicken is tender and falling apart.
- Remove chicken onto a plate to cool.
- Pour the broth into a bowl to cool. Cover and freeze this chicken broth for another time. It is all seasoned and ready to use.
- I use my clean hands to break the chicken apart, and shred it. I prefer it shredded than in large pieces or chunks of chicken.
- Put chicken into a mixing bowl. Add celery, cucumber, fresh basil, dill, black pepper, seasoning salt, sugar, cider vinegar and mayonnaise.
- Stir very well until mixed. Chill for at least an hour before serving.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.