Java Rice

A plate of java rice, garnished with spring onions.
A coworker and I once argued about why our rice breakfast is yellow. She's been really curious about the color. I told her it's margarine and butter that made it yellow and she was not convinced. The staff approached us and asked what's our problem and then we both asked what they put on that rice. She smiled and said it was butter and annato seeds. Haha! I won the debate. Lol!

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 449 Posts

A plate of java rice, garnished with spring onions.A coworker and I once argued about why our rice breakfast is yellow. She's been really curious about the color. I told her it's margarine and butter that made it yellow and she was not convinced. The staff approached us and asked what's our problem and then we both asked what they put on that rice. She smiled and said it was butter and annato seeds. Haha! I won the debate. Lol!

But making this food is a challenge for me. Annato seeds are not just natural food coloring for most dishes. It also enhances the flavor. Let me show you how to make java rice with annato seeds.

• 1 Tbsp Annato seeds
  • 4 cups cooked rice
  • 2 Tbsp butter or cooking oil
  • Minced garlic and onion
  • spring onions chopped
  • salt and pepper
  • seasoning mix (optional)
A bag of annatto seeds.

A bowl of cooked rice next to chopped veggies.

1. Heat some butter or oil in pan then add a tablespoon of annato seeds.
  2. Annatto seeds cooked in oil.

3. When oil turns yellow, remove all the seeds in it.
  4. Removing annatto seeds from the oil.

5. Saute minced garlic and onion in the annato oil. You may want to add seasoning or you can just season it with salt and pepper.
  6. Adding minced garlic and onion to the flavored oil.

7. Put in the rice when garlic turns light brown. Stir.
  8. Adding cooked rice to the oil mixture.

9. Add spring onions (Leave some for garnish). Stir continuously until everything is incorporated.
  10. Adding spring onions to the rice mixture.

11. Serve hot and garnish with chopped spring onions or fried garlic. This is best paired with barbecue, according to some kitchen experts.
  12. A plate of java rice, garnished with spring onions.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Food and Recipes Recipes RiceSeptember 11, 2020
👔
🐛
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Java-Rice-1.html