Keeping Bobbins From Unwinding

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 306 Posts

Three bobbins with string on them.On my sewing machine, there is a storage box where I keep extra bobbins. Until recently, they have been a mess at times. Yesterday, I happened to have a pair of clear latex gloves laying next to the machine. It occured to me that the little finger of the glove was about the size of the bobbins. I cut a slice the width of the bobbin and slipped it over the rim. It worked super to hold the wild thread ends from playing hide and seek in my storage box.

If you wrap several bobbins of the same color, you could slip them into the extra fingers and use a paper clip to hold them in. Where the glove and the bobbins are clear, I can see what color the thread is. The ring of glove is not so tight I can't get it off easily, like the rubber band I had tried before. For bobbins with less thread on them, you could wrap the ring a couple of times.

I use the thumb and first fingertips from the gloves for pulling my needles through fabric when quilting or sewing thick fabrics. Now have a use for the little finger as well. Whenever we go to the doctor's office, we pick up a pair or two. The nurses are glad to give them to me. In the long run, we sure pay for them.

By Ann Winberg from Loup City, NE

2 More Solutions

Silver Answer Medal for All Time! 440 Answers

Some spools have a ring. You can pop this ring up, wrap the thread around the visible part of the bobbin and then pop back down the ring to keep the thread from unwinding. Not all spools have this ring. Then make such ring yourself.

Pictures showing how to keep thread from unwinding.

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 181 Posts

To keep extra bobbin threads from unraveling, place a fat fuzzy ponytail holder around the bobbin.

Crafts SewingJanuary 26, 2013
👔
👒
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Keeping-Bobbins-From-Unwinding.html