Keeping Garlic and Onion Salts and Powders from Caking?

Anyone have a real solution for keeping garlic and onion salts and powders from caking beyond use right after opening? I am careful to tighten tops, and only buy the small bottles.

By Carolyn C. Cooke from Green Cove Springs, FL

Best Answer

I have the same problem and I think it comes from shaking the seasoning bottles over the steaming product that you are seasoning. What I do, when I need some of the caked product is to tap the bottle against the edge of the counter. Actually if I need a larger amount of the product I take the shaker part off the bottle and reach in with a spoon. Something I learned from my late mother about chili powder, it can get little bugs/worms in it and after the first time she discovered that she kept it in the refrigerator.

It's not from using over a cooking surface. We own restaurants and we have the same problem. We keep our bulk spices in a different dry storage area than the hot zone and still have problems with clumping.

Best for us is to transfer to a vacuum bag, and revacuum after using.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesMarch 23, 2014
🌻
📓
🎂
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Keeping-Garlic-and-Onion-Salts-and-Powders-from-Caking.html