Keeping Kids' Toys to a Minimum

When your child receives something new, they should have to give one of their old toys to a thrift store, or a friend. It keeps clutter down to a minimum. It also teaches them to not overdo it as they get older.

I always rotated my children's toys and books. Studies show that too many choices overwhelm children. Some children even break toys to reduce the choices. All of us have too many choices. In the 1950's, there were 20 different kinds of cereal to choose from in the supermarket. Today there are over 500!

I rotated my son's toys in 3 sections. Then, as he got older and outgrew some of the plastic baby-type toys, he'd have his own mini-porch sale for the neighborhood kids. Some toys he was attached to and some he never played with. I'd have never made him give away a toy he was attached to. He still has the little bear he took with him to daycare, and he's 33.

I felt like my neighbor was too quick to get rid of toys her daughter didn't play with. For example, she had a little kitchen set, and after about a year, her mom stuck it in a garage sale. "She never plays with it." Well, she was 3--she might have played with it more when she was 5 or 6. Or even 7.

I had a metal dollhouse that I loved and played with until I was about 12. I still have some of the dollhouse people and other miniatures from it in shadowboxes or displayed on my library shelves.