CatsPest Control

Keeping Neighbor's Cats Off Heat/AC Unit

Category Cats

When the weather cools, seldom a night passes without the bang or thud of the neighbor's stray cats (she feeds them, so they keep coming around) jumping onto my heater/gas pack unit which is outside my bedroom window. How can I keep them off it? I'm concerned with metals or liquids affecting my heat unit. I'm so tired of being startled awake by the echoing thud behind my head repeatedly each night. I'm thinking about stringing barb wire over the unit. Ugh. Sincerely, frustrated.

By Lynn K

Cats hate the smell of lemons. Put dried lemon peels outside around the perimeter or hang mesh bags of them from the sides of the unit. You can also keep citronella candles out, too. I hope this helps.

Put aluminum foil on the area...crinkled up. They won't like the feel or the noise of jumping on it!

Try getting some rabbit fence at a local feed store. You can also get push in fence posts that are easy to install. Get fencing that is at least 4 feet tall. Install it around the fence posts and this is the most important part, bend the top last foot of the fencing outward at a 45 degree angle.

While cats can climb almost anything, when they see the 45 degree fencing leaning outward they will not even attempt to climb it. I have done this many times and never had it fail.