Keeping Raccoons Out of a Campsite

Getting away to the great outdoors for a camping trip does mean that the wildlife may visit your campsite, perhaps looking for a nice snack. This is a guide about keeping raccoons out of a campsite.

We are camping for the summer and in our campground a number of trailers have been invaded by a raccoon. Does anyone have any good ideas to discourage these animals? Is there a product out there that they don't like to come near, so I can surround my campsite?

By Sheila from Ontario, Canada

Answers

I don't know if this will work for raccoons but I do know it keeps the cats and dogs out of our trash when put out for garbage pick-up day. Just pour some ammonia (about 1/4 cup full) into each bag (which we use) or into your garbage can(s). They do not like the smell and will leave it alone. I've been doing this for at least 8 years with no problems whatsoever. It's worth a try. Good Luck!