CatsPets

Keeping a Cat Off the Stove

How can I keep my cat off the electric stove?

I have one friend who swears by keeping strips of sandpaper by the side of the stove (she uses double face tape to keep it there--but she has really old counters--I would not do that with new counters as it could cause damage. I have another who swears by spraying peppermint spray on the counters. I have a third who uses foil strips around the side of the stove. She makes them into tubes (all krinkled) and lines the side where kitty jumps up (her stove abuts a wall so there is only a one side access).

I am just grateful my dog can't climb like this...knowing him the first two would become toys and the peppermint would just make him sneeze as he got into the food :)

Whatever you use...be sure it doesn't get on or near the burners, especially the peppermint spray!

Use double-sided tape.

I have always had good luck with slightly crumbled aluminum foil.

I buy the blue removable tape for securing the foil but I try to cover a large area or they will just move to the small strip you leave.
I just tape it down and remove it when I have to use that space.

This is also good for taping pieces together.
If the area is very large you can place wide strips of aluminum foil on several sheets of newspaper. This way you can leave some space in between sheets.
Be sure the sheets are slightly crumbled so they make noise.
I have a friend that crumbles her foil and then sprinkles a little water over the top. Most cats do not like to step in water.

This method usually works quickly but I save the foil for the "next" place.

Sold at most stores:

www.amazon.com/.../ref=pd_sim_229_2?tag=thrif06-20