WeedsGardening

Killing Weeds in an Ivy Bed

What can I use to kill the weeds in a bed of ivy?

Try "painting" an herbicide onto the weeds so you don't harm the ivy

I would pull it out by hand, as to not to kill the ivy, or any other plants. A weed killer kills all vegetation.

Chemicals are so dangerous and can be harmful to more than the weeds, so avoid those.

How big is the bed? If it is small enough, don a good pair of gloves and pull by hand. Hopefully if you get them from the root, you can eliminate them.

If it is huge, you may want to try something like this recipe for vinegar, salt and dish soap. Use it with a spray that can target the weed roots:

www.hgtv.com/.../make-your-own-natural-weed-killer

I agree. I've used this recipes many times with success. However, this is still a killer. When spraying anything, I carry a half of a cardboard box, the corner, to keep the spray from drifting to other plants. This protects other plants and helps me put the spray exactly where I want it..

It would be best to pull by hand but if it is too much then you may have to resort to using a weed killer. Either way, it will be difficult to kill all of the weeds but if your ivy is healthy it may overpower the weeds and fill in some of the spots.

You can use a home-made solution like Pghgirl sited but be very careful as it will kill the ivy very quickly.

I have used a turkey baster with weed killer and place a few drops on the top of the weed so it flows down the stem. It is best to pull/lay the ivy as far away as possible from where you are weeding.
This is usually best done in the hottest part of the day.

In the future, you may be able to curb some of the weeds by laying paper/landscape fabric/mulch before planting your ivy.
Small holes for ivy in landscape fabric will work as the ivy will usually trail/grow on top of the mulch.