Flower Safe Weed Killer

What weed killer can I use that won't kill my flowers? They are beginning flowers that have not budded yet, they are cock's combs. Please help. There are so many weeds mixed in with them and I'm afraid to pull them because I am pulling the roots of the flowers up too.

By sumdawn

Here are some good choices, also remember that you can put down plastic and just plant in the holes, the flowers will come up but the weeds will not, also remember t hat you can use newspaper, etc to discourage weeds. Here are some great products to use in the flowerbeds and links to learn more about the details and the pro's of each one.

AMAZE GRASS AND WEED PREVENTER 2 BY GREENLIGHT
www.greenlightco.com/.../index.cfm
PREEN WEED PREVENTER WITH BRILLIANT BLOOMS FERTILIZER
www.preen.com/.../preen-weed-preventer-brilliant-blooms...
I like this one because it has a fertilizer in it.
WORRYFREE ORGANIC GRASS AND WEED KILLER
I like this one because it has non harmful chemicals for the soil.

www.worryfreebrand.com/weed_and_grass_control.shtml

Hope these help! These are safe to use around flower beds. Have fun in the garden! Also, you could cut the weeds off at the top of the soil and cover them with paper and then put rocks over them.

I would have to say that using plastic, roofing shingles or anything that does not allow water to penetrate is a BAD idea; also the roots of your flowers cannot breathe.
I WOULD say that a thick layer of newspaper is great but also time consuming; I have used a 3" layer of newspaper and it was great and as time went by the paper went into the earth. Now I use carpet and it works great just like the newspaper. I go to local carpet stores and get the carpet they tear out and sometimes new scraps and remnants so other then my time and gas no expense. I have had some carpet in place for more then 10 years. As with anything some weeds, but very few, will creep through where the carpet is joined, hope this is helpful

Use Poast; it won't kill anything that blooms. Of course that means if your weeds bloom it won't kill them either but for the most part is the best thing I have found

Use layers of newspapers to cover up the weeds (you can place some dirt on top to help hold them down, etc). This will prevent the weeds from getting light and it's easy and inexpensive. :)

I used newspaper and mulched with wood chips. We had a rain and sunshine and the grass is poking through everywhere!

I use roofing shingles, I purchased at Lowes. After using for 2 years, still no weeds. I mean 1 or 2 weeds pop out from the outer edge of the flower beds, but its better than 1000"s.. Try it.

Sweett

Anonymous

Exactly what I was thinking also using tarps with grey side up has worked as an experiment. May be cheaper than roofing but not last as 25 years rated by shingle manuf.

Anonymous

Hey Cindy L.
I love the roof shingle idea. What about the roof roll?

What kind of roof shingles do you use?

How can I kill weeds around my annual flowers?

I have rocks in my flower garden and a lot of phlox . I have a lot of weeds growing around my phlox how can I get rid of the weeds without killing my phlox?

Dont know if I spelled phlox right or not

Don't want to kill my flowers just kill the weed in my flower bed

I am looking for a good weed killer that does not harm the plants. Any suggestions?

By Jane from England

Answers

Sorry, this is one of those mutually exclusive concepts, weeds are plants, so weed killers will harm plants. Depending on what kind of "good" plants you want to keep safe, and what kind of "weed" plants you want to get rid of, you might be able to find some "selective" herbicides that act mostly on the weeds.

Your other possibility is to put on a rubber glove, then an old cotton glove, or use a paintbrush, and brush the herbicide directly onto the weed plant, being careful not to contact the "good" plant. You can also shield the good plants with plastic, cardboard, etc. if you need to spray the weeds.

Good luck!

Home and Garden Gardening WeedsJune 15, 2011
💘
🍀