Kitten Chewing on Wires

Category Cats
Siamese kitten chewing on mouse cord
Pets will sometimes chew on inappropriate things; sometimes this can be dangerous. This is a guide about kitten chewing on wires.

I have a kitten and she is chewing up wires. How do you stop that?

Abigail from Boaz, KY

Best Answer

Your kitten is likely teething, so it's time to add bulk to it's food, like kitten chow. If it continues to chew, increase to next driest food and keep plenty of water around, but eliminate the canned meats. Like any animal getting it's first teeth, it will want to gnaw on something. You might continue to scold with the water spray, but it might be confused since I believe it is trying to get relief any way possible. You might

try tossing several rubber mice around, then gradually replace them with a LITTLE catnip mice, just for a very short time, because it is cat marijuana and you don't want the cat addicted, I hope. This is a deterant and temporary distraction until it gets through with growing the main teeth it should have.

Give it rubber balls it's size, made for kittens, and do try VERY hard to tie up your cords EVERY where in the house, for all concerned. Cats are a sacrifice, some worse than others. God help and bless you and you cat. : )

Best Answer

I put the Bitter Apple on the wires of my lamps and the kitten decided very quickly they didn't taste good enough to bother with any more. You can use a damp cotton ball if you don't want to spray directly.

Best Answer

There is no concern about giving catnip to cats in any amount.

http://www.myhe  p-addiction.html

This is one of several sites that discusses the impossibility of "addiction".

About the wires, I would try to cover them up some how. You can buy foam insulation that is round (for pipes) to cover exposed wires temporarily. I really liked the aluminum foil idea too. In a month or so, your kitten will be on to something else.

Jess

Best Answer

Most pet stores carry bitter apple spray. Buy some and spray the wires. Your kitten will chew the wire then get the taste in her mouth and realize she doesn't like it and will stop. It worked with my 5 month old kitten!

My daughter-in-law has a kitten that loves to chew on phone wires, computer wires, etc. and they have had to replace some items because of this. Any suggestions to break him of the habit would be appreciated.

Jean from Charlevoix, MI

Answers:

Kitten Chewing on Wires

You can buy Velcro strips at most PC stores. They are thin and come in colors to keep the wires on a pc up & out of the way. I use them on long Lamp Cords too. When I got my puppy she chewed on a lamp cord. I'm glad it was not turned on! It happened during bedtime. Needless to say my husband had to rewire it. We scolded her & bought chew toys, she was teething.

Maybe a few kitten toys. Something that she needs to play with & chew on, try a feather on a stick toy that can be held up by your Daughter to play with her/him, maybe it will loose interest in wires. She might grow out of the wire games. Cats are hard to train. I do like cats & had a few, but they have attitudes. I'm a dog person now. I hope some kitten owners can help you more.
Good luck to kitty, Sherry (08/12/2006)

By starlight2007

Kitten Chewing on Wires

There is a product on the market called BITTER APPLE, you simply spray it on whatever you do not what the kitten/puppy to chew on, it has a very unpleasant taste. I have used it for years with puppies in my home. This product has saved me a lot of furniture, phone lines,electric cords, carpets, computer cables... you get the idea! (08/12/2006)

By Echo`

Kitten Chewing on Wires

I had the same problem with my lab puppy, after losing PC/printer/telephone cables I was told to try clove oil by a friend, it worked a treat - he hated it. I painted it on all the wires and he gave up after trying just once, saved me a fortune. (08/13/2006)

By -Toon

Kitten Chewing on Wires

When our kittens or puppies chewed on cords we have always used hot sauce. It works very well. Just be careful not to get it on your hands. I wore gloves and applied it with a cloth dipped into the sauce. (08/14/2006)

By gigik

Kitten Chewing on Wires

Cats are a bit difficult in training dept. Try to catch it
in action and squirt with water bottle or shake a
can with pennies in it to stop kitten. Also if possible
wrap cords in aluminum foil and perhaps it will lose
interest. I had a rabbit eat a phone cord and wondered why my phone did not ring for 1 day. I lost a great job offer due to that, bad timing...
Good luck. (08/14/2006)

By meoowmom

Kitten Chewing on Wires

Bitter Apple was mentioned - it works for all kinds of animals chewing where they shouldn't. Available in any pet store. If you don't see it, ask! (08/15/2006)

By Lynn Beth

Kitten Chewing on Wires

Try using the bitter apple spray on anything you don't want your pets to chew on. This will usually work for most pets but I have a dog that could probably chew the hinges off the gates of Hell if she could!

I used every training technique I could think of then finally I had to buy a remote training collar. Every time I catch her putting her mouth on something she isn't suppose to have, I give her a mild zap and tell her NO!!
This may sound cruel but this works. My dog is stubborn and although she looks like an adult dog, she's still a puppy and terribly immature. My other two dogs don't chew on anything other than chewies.

My problem child also counter surfs, takes things out of the trash and loves to dig holes. When I catch her digging a hole I have to laugh because she will look at me and dig as fast as she can!!
I'm sure these training collars work on cats as well as dogs but try the bitters first.
Good luck. (08/18/2006)

By ldyharley

Kitten Chewing on Wires

I bought the CATSIFIER online and it works great. Its a pillow w/ a fur cat on it w/ small nipples..my kittens love it and they leave me alone at night and stopped chew and suckling on other things (06/14/2007)

By karnie