CatsPets

Kitten's Fur Knotted After Surgery

Last night I picked up my kitten from the vet. (She had gone to get fixed.) Once I got home, I noticed that on her stomach, around the part that had been shaved, that it was a yellowy color and the hair was knotted. I brushed her the day before I took her to the vet and she had no knots. Will these come out on their own or will I have to wait until after she gets the stitches removed and bring her to a groomer? (The knots look quite bad, but I don't want to try to brush them out until after she goes back to get the stitches removed.)

I think she may be chewing around the stitches and causing the matting. Don't try to comb or brush the coat out as this may disturb the stitches. Gently using a pair of scissors, cut them as close as possible to the skin. You can use your fingers as a guard between her skin and coat as to not nick her. Watch her to make sure she isn't chewing stitches. If she is, call vet for recommendation on chew repellent.