Knitting Breast Prosthetics

Category How To
After breast cancer treatment, to restore symmetry you made need a little thrifty help. This guide is about knitting breast prosthetics.

A friend was telling me about a "breast prosthetics" that are knitted. Is there any one that knows of a pattern? I use a knitting loom.

Judy from Traverse

Answers

By londa (Guest Post)

I think cotton yarn would be the best so it would be comfortable against your skin, and very washable. A very pale color would be good for under a white garment, or if you wear black, go with black. I would use a normal rather large size, and stitches to match so it is stretchy.

With a loom are you limited to making squares and rectangles? I've never tried to make a real one but I have made "fat suits" for the theater. I wonder if you tried just knitting a rectangle, folding it into a square, sewing up the sides and stuffing it with pillow stuffing. Stuff it into the bra, and see. I would think the bra would give it the proper shape.

I hope this at least can get you started. Londa

By Wkkyn (Guest Post)

I JUST GOTTA remark: You guys are awesome. It makes me Soo-o PROUD, without regard to subject.

Someone, Somewhere has an answer or throws out a salient suggestion. AWESOME Just AWESOME!

Here you go:

http://www.knit  05/PATTbits.html

This is for regular knitting (not on a loom). Maybe someone can help you convert it? Or time to learn with 2 needles! You can do it!

Or find the patterns for the "pumpkins" done on round looms, and practice adjusting it!

I googled "knitted breast prosthesis" and got a bunch of sites. Some are the same gal, but there are a lot of them out there with instructions right down to the letter. Good luck hon!!