LG Refrigerator Reviews

Category Refrigerators
Part of the preparation for buying a new refrigerator is researching various manufacturers and and models. This is a guide about LG refrigerator reviews.

Buying a refrigerator is a big decision because it is such and expensive purchase. Checking out the reviews on Amazon can be a useful way to educate yourself before making your final choice.

LG Stainless Steel French Door Refrigerator - Energy Star

Does anyone know of any problems with the LG refrigerator (#LFC20760SW)? It has double doors and the freezer is on the bottom.

By SaveBySolar from Stone Ridge, NY

Answers

I like the double doors and the adjustable shelves,lots of space inside the fridge. it is a plus that the fridge is at eye level.
Downsides; double doors don't "just close" you have to manually close them, but there is a bell that alerts you to close the door if it is left open. Freezer is big but does tend to be disorganized quickly. Ice maker has an automatic shut off that does not work properly due to design. Ice maker has to be manually shut off.

overall. We do like the fridge

I have an LG lower freezer model that is huge and I love the freezer on bottom. However the defrost control on the main board went bad and it cost $450 to fix. LG wouldn't do anything about it. This was a 950 dollar fridge and it is only two and a half years old. I expect a fridge to last at least ten years. I would buy a freezer on bottom model again, but never from LG. EVER!

If you have kids, the freezers on the bottom are easy for them to open. This can create a real mess and drive up your energy bill.

LG? Maybe they should change the name to NG, for No Good. Got the Sears-branded model a couple of years ago and the thing seems very poorly designed and built not to last. We find pools of condensation under the meat tray and have never figured out where the defrost water is supposed to go, considering that there's no drain nor pump.

Pieces have broken off both vegetable bins, leaving one without a "stop" when you pull it out, and the other with no "catch" for the tip-out window at the front of the bin. The window itself tends to pop out with minimal pressure, such as the amount required to simply open it.

Early on, a closure bracket for one of the doors broke off. Can the 3-inch arm be replaced? Nope. The repair requires replacing the entire inside walls of the cabinet.

You might think we're a family of 16 wild and wooly refrigerator abusers, but I assure you we're just three people who take good care of everything. (Our old fridge, moved to the garage, continues working perfectly and without breakage of plastic parts.)

We have just had the lights melt the panel from the top of our fridge (3 door bottom freezer). A sensor to keep the bulbs from overheating is not really the answer for this, since the lights do not turn off when the fridge doors are shut. Upon contacting LG, they said they would have a local service person contact us and 3 days later, we are yet to receive a call. I suppose they do not consider melting plastic and hanging wires a fire hazard. :-( or perhaps they just do not care.

Update: I just spoke with LG again and the first rep did not send the authorization through to the local repair company. This time I was given the name of the company to call and after speaking with them, they are quite aware of the problem and said it is an "unofficial" recall.

The Lg Refrigerator Model #LRFC22750SW that I purchased 2.5 years ago for $996 is the biggest hunk of junk ever. I have had nothing but trouble with it. It is falling apart. I first starting having trouble 1 month after the warranty expired. When I called LG explaining the fact that my refrigerator was making a strange noise then the fridge stopped working but the freezer was ok, the customer service rep. told me the unplug it for several hours so it could defrost that the fan had frozen up, that worked, so every month we had to unplug the fridge to get it to work. After several months that had stoped working and I had to call a service man.

I couldn't close the freezer, needed a new control panel, and a few other items. After several calls and pleading LG covered the parts. Now a year later its the control panel again, as well as the defrost package and the tabs for the doors have broken off. Only $918 to fix it! LG customer service will not help us at all. LG knows they have a poor product and that many people have had the same trouble as I but they refuse to stand behind their product. I will never buy an LG poroduct again. Life is not good with an LG refrigerator.

I purchased an LGLBC22518WW for a vacation property and it lasted a total of a week per year until the third year when it no longer works what so ever.

Bad product. Do NOT buy LG refrigerators. We have had ours 4 years, and the ice maker has never worked properly.

More problematic is the build-up of ice and frost in the freezer for the past year. My wife defrosts the freezer every month or so and a 1/2" of ice builds up in the bottom in a week. The temperature is set at -1, but my infrared digital thermometer reads 25 degrees in the freezer. The refrigerator is set to 38 degrees but is actually 46 degrees.

I have read here that repairs are up to $950 and may not cure the problem for long. I have totally disconnected the unit and will give it one last try tomorrow when I power it back on. If it does not work, in the trash it will go after only 4 years. $ ouch!

We have had ours for almost 2 years. Almost every problem that was listed below, we have had happen. Ice maker only works on occasion. The defrost stopped working a week after the warranty ended. The doors do not close and are left open all the time. The plastic drawers on the inside have broken. The seal on doors are shredded. Love the design, hate the quality. We got an LG dishwasher at the same time and it broke 4 times the 1st year.

We bought the LRFC22750SW in June 2007. Plastic parts began breaking off almost immediately. The freezer seemed to be getting too cold. Closer inspection found that the thermostat sensor that is supposed to reside in the grill that hangs down from the freezer ceiling was actually wedged up in the Styrofoam insulation.

The fan was freezing over whenever we turned on the ice maker and at one point caused the entire refrigeration unit to turn off and spoil all our food. Most recently, we had the problem with the lights remaining on in the refrigerator control unit, causing it to melt away from the screws securing it. We found the whole unit danging by the wires when we got home from work.

Food spoiled and warm to the touch. Fortunately it was in this state for only a few hours. Had we gone away for a long weekend, we probably would have had a house fire. Found something else out that is most telling: LG stands for Lucky Goldstar, that same manufacturer who used to make cheap TVs and VCRs. I guess they thought a name change would make a Hundai a Honda. Not the case...

With all these complaints, I'd like to know how we can institute a class-action lawsuit against LG? Any suggestions?

I own an LG model LRFC2275 refrigerator (it's less than 4 years old) and had problems with the plastic bulb cover melting within the first year. LG was entirely unhelpful and I had to pay and reinstall the whole thing. Last week the condenser motor went and it cost me over $500 to repair. Again, LG offered nothing but a sarcastic comment.

I would never recommend any LG product to anyone based on their awful customer service, and I only wish I'd read all the comments posted here before buying this expensive piece of garbage in the first place.

By the way, LG is a South Korean product and LG stands for "Lucky Goldstar" - such a crappy name to match their crappy products, they can only market it by the initials.

Beware! We have had the same problems: light overheating; control panel replaced, etc. The problems continue, and the unit is broken again! The units manufactured in 2006 , including the upper end model LCF 25760 are known to be defective. Other years are also involved. LG will not stand behind their products.

Lg bottom-freezer refrigerator is NO Good! Stopped cooling at about 8 months; LG warranty people said I should reduce amount of food in frige and make sure air vents not blocked. This helped for a while; then at 12 months, complete cooling failure in the refrigerator section. Glad I bought extended warranty! Repair man said cooling fan in freezer had failed; NO PARTS available in Las Vegas! Have to wait two weeks for new parts, then call repairman again, meantime; he taped the vent open from freezer, we have to watch temp. to make sure entire fridge does not freeze until he gets here again in two weeks! Design problems with LG junk! Do not buy an LG---I will be the first to sign up for a class action against LG--stores should post repair records and the fact that parts are not available in Las Vegas! All this in less than a year's usage! Ray

We have an LG for Sears (Kenmore) purchased July 2007. 2 days after we had the fridge we noticed that it was leaking. Water had gone down to basement and ruined our hardwoods in kitchen. Water pump failed. We received a new fridge 5 days later after considerable time spent on phone with LG and Sears. 10K in damage to hardwoods and water damage to basement led insurance company to go after LG.

Then this weekend (December 27th) our refrigerator light overheated and melted casing, melted all plastic containers near light, and melted butter and spoiled food around light casing. Casing was shockingly hot. Flames came out of casing when we tried to remove it. Huge fire hazard. Finally had to rip the entire light system out and throw it in the snow....it was so hot. And of course Sears/Kenmore could care less about the issue. We have a technician scheduled to come by this week but all of it will be out of our pocket. There is tons of stuff on the web about this problem, but no recalls. There should be a class action suit. We could have had a house fire.

I purchased LG bottom freezer Model LFC20760SB on 8/19/09. Week of 12/20/09 both support brackets for bottom shelf that holds the vegetable/fruit bins cracked and pieces are breaking off! 4 months old! Never heard of such a thing in my 65+ years! And - I live alone so refrig is not "abused". Should have paid attention to postings re this problem before I bought. Fortunately I bought a 2 year extended warranty!

Worked fine for 2.5 years. Now there are puddles on the kitchen floor. I was told by a repairman that "such a young fridge should not have that problem so soon and it will keep coming back!:(" Would not purchase a LG product again. Would love to hear from the positive review people now, because I was very happy for 2.5 years with it, until now! They are time bombs!

Just 4 years young lg bottom freezer, ser# lfx25960sb started melting when lights would not respond to door switch. Melted light assembly and part of the encasement. Fire hazard? Noticed the room temp kept going up even with central air on hit 81 degrees. Knew something wrong. Also poor ice producer. Anyone complain to authorities?

Angry!
Shortly after purchasing of LG refrigerator we received a letter from LG. They stated the Energy Star rating was incorrect. They would send us a check to make up the energy difference. We have only had our refrigerator for 2 years and have had to replace the shelf sliders. The refrigerator unit does not keep thing cool except for the bins at the bottom which freezes everything. The milk never gets cold. The freezer itself doesn't keep things frozen, especially ice cream. It stays more like soft serve. And finally our kitchen does not need a heater. The LG refrigerator puts off enough heat for the room, It is more like a fireplace. The doors don't shut, unless you push them shut. And the water dispenser is not tall enough for a glass. You need to angle the glass and push the dispenser with your hand. Also, the water comes out very slow. I thought I reviewed refrigerators before we purchased this one. I have heard of fires from lights not shutting off. I can I tell if the lights are shutting off. The room temp always states 80's.?

We have a single door LG bottom freezer (about 2 years old) and I have replaced the plastic shelves (doors and crispers) 3 times now due to cracking. So far I have been able to convince LG to replace the door and crisper shelves free of charge. This will be the 3rd time and I think they will not agree to support the no charge replacement. I will never buy another product from LG, very disappointed with their product quality. Think I will go back to good old GE.

Can anyone offer any insight to this machine? It looks good on the showroom floor and the price is right.

By Mike M.

I have a question about the LG fridge model # LFC13760SW. Would somebody please tell me how old this model would be and if anybody out there has had any problems with this model?

By Jeri-Lou

Model: Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator

Manufacturer: LG

Request: How good is LG's Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator?

Cecil from Grafton, MA

Answers:

LG Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Reviews

We have had ours since the new year and absolutely love it. Ours is a 22.4 c.f. We like it because the freezer roll out has many separate drawers in comparison to other brands. The handles that came with ours are set out a ways from the refrigerator. We like this since we have a large family and many handprints that used to show up don't now. (08/31/2006)

By Guest

LG Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Reviews

I've had one for several months now, too. Must say I love it and haven't had any problems. (08/31/2006)

By Adam G.

LG Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Reviews

We love our bottom freezer fridge, in fact, this is our second one, our first lasted 25 years, and was still going strong when we got our new one ( we needed a larger one). I think you'll love yours as well, much easier on the back. (08/31/2006)

By acesis

LG Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Reviews

I have a friend that bought an LG refrigerator over a year ago and is extremely happy with it. I bought one 6 months ago and think it is the best refrigerator I have owned and I have had a a few in my lifetime. (08/31/2006)

By Poco

LG Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Reviews

I purchased a new LG bottom freezer refrigerator 6 months ago and have had problems with frost buildup in the freezer and moisture build up in the refrigerator section. I've had their service here twice to try to fix the problem without success. Based on this experience, I would not buy another. (09/04/2006)

By Ed

LG Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Reviews

I have the LRBC22544 model and frost develops in the back panel and stops cold air from entering the refrigerator. I can defrost it and it will work OK for about 2 months before I must defrost it again. Apparently, this is a problem with everyone that has owned one of these. Don't expect support from LG out of warranty though. Even though this is a known issue, they will not support you and refer you to the local appliance repair store in your area. I would not buy another product from LG period. (04/24/2007)

By Carl R.

LG Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Reviews

We bought our LG bottom freezer/refrigerator about a year and a half ago. During the winter, we had to put all our frozen stuff out on the deck overnight and defrost our refrigerator, by turning off the circuit. Ice was hitting the fan and making a "whirring" sound. This helps for a while until it builds up again. I had to do it again tonight and some of my frozen stuff defrosted and I had to throw it away. The customer service support at LG told me its my fault for putting too much stuff in the freezer. They take no responsibility for their bad design. It was not a cheap refrigerator and a total waste of money. Save yourself some heartache and stay away from this manufacturer. Wonder if there's anything that can be done legally? (07/17/2007)

By Dee

LG Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Reviews

I bought an LG fridge/bottom freezer in December 2004 and I am very happy. It does not frost, so its easy to clean. I also have other LG appliances and have not had one day's worry with them. (09/20/2007)

By Carol from RSA

LG Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Reviews

I don't want to wish bad luck on those who have had this refrigerator for less than a year with no problems, but our first LG LRFC22750 Bottom Freezer Refrigerator also worked fine for the first 7 months with no problems. Then both latches broke off the doors, the top compartment that holds the light bulb actually fell down and hung by its wiring. It was replaced twice (screws holding it actually melted with atrocious smell presumably due to the door not sealing properly and the light heating the plastic). The door edging also cracked.

The replacement fridge was delivered at the 10 month mark. It worked fine for a month and then the freezer defrosted overnight one day. It has since done this half a dozen times. The problem appears to be due to a faulty spring although the defrost fix kit was installed as a matter of course as well. Do yourself a favour and buy the extended warranty. (10/23/2007)

By Heather

LG Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Reviews

I have model number LSF25960

I am on my 3rd ice maker and now it has shut off. The code IF EF comes on and LG just told me to turn it off for 3 to 4 hours and it should be fine. Yea right, in the meantime my food goes bad and the refrigerator is only 8 months old. Stay away from LG. (01/31/2008)

By Wendi

LG LRFC22750 Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator

Add me to the list of those unhappy with the LG LRFC22750 Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator. The light bulb housing started smoking and burned and melted the temperature control box. The box was hanging from the control wires. I am getting some frost in the freezer, because the door does not close properly due to ice build up inside the rubber gasket. I will never buy an LG product again. Poor workmanship. (02/03/2008)

By A Fenton

LG Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Reviews

I have filed a complaint with our State Attorney General's office. I highly recommend others who have suffered due to this company's shoddy products should contact their AT offices also. I believe a class action lawsuit is in order, and it would seem there are plenty of people who would join such a lawsuit. (02/18/2008)

By M. C. Kuhn

LG Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Reviews

We bought our fridge from the Brick (Canada) and we've had problems from the latch breaking, the sealing coming loose, ice building up in the freezer and the plastic melting off. Luckily, we bought extended warranty and the company, Trans-Global Services have been great with us. When the technician came, he was familiar about the overheating problem and said there's a replace part that contains a thermostat for the lighting unit which will automatically shut off the light when it gets overheated. I believe Transglobal will service anywhere in Canada, if you're interested, the website is: http://www.transglobalservice.com/en/index.html

Good luck. I'm just crossing my fingers that my ice maker doesn't freeze up like some of the other owners. (05/10/2008)

By Guest

LG Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Reviews

The LG Electronic company makes the Sears Kenmore Elite Trio as well. I have the melted bulb housing issue too on my Kenmore. I have contacted the CPSC about it now. Sears is not helpful about the repairs, and so far it's been all out of pocket. Those of us with these fridges need to work together to get a recall or our money reimbursed. (07/29/2008)

By LG french door = Sears Kenmore Elite Trio

LG Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Reviews

I just logged a complaint against my LFC25760ST refrigerator about the light staying on an melting the housing. I bought the refrigerator in May 2007 and have previously had issues with the crisper bin drawer covers and bottom shelf bracket breaking as well. This refrigerator definitely has some quality issues and I would not recommend it.

I have LG computer monitors with no problems at all and an LG washer and dryer with no problems at all. (08/24/2008)

By Guest

LG Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Reviews

LG has finally come out with repair to melting light lens. It requires replacement of Main Board (New Software), Light Lens/Cover. (09/03/2008)

By Repair tech

LG Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Reviews

There is a recall on melting light. LG extended warranty to 3 years to cover repair. Sears and A and E are authorized service providers for repair (09/03/2008)

By Repair tech

LG Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Reviews

RE: Everyone who has ice build up in the freezer. There may be a simple fix. About a year ago, I had ice build up to such an extent, that it prevented the compressor fan from turning. The repairman said it was a common problem with LG and even other brands of refrigerators.

Here's the simple fix: On the roof of the freezer (and also the refrigerator section), towards the back, there's a small (about 3in x 1in) grille bulging out. This is the cover for the temperature sensor. The sensor needs to be in the freezer compartment, resting on the grille. Instead, sometimes it is lodged inside the insulation in the roof, preventing it from taking accurate temperature readings and starting the defrost cycle. Just remove the grille, reach into the insulation and pull out the sensor. Replace the grille. Hopefully this will take care of some of the defrost problems. Best of luck. (09/09/2008)

LG Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Reviews

We have an LG Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator that was purchased in Oct. 2007. Went to clean the shelf, as soon as it was put under cold water the glass shelf exploded into a million pieces, the glass flew quite a distance and was everywhere. One of us got got quite a cut. Wondering if this is a common problem. I have never seen anything like this. What an awful mess, I am still finding glass days later. (11/10/2008)

By Guest

LG Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Reviews

Fight for great customer service. I blogged in June 2008 about the issue of my fridge light melting, nearly catching on fire. LG did do the right thing, it was very difficult but worth every hour spent on the phone. LG credited us money to the retailer where we bought the fridge. We were able to pick any fridge. We love our new Samsung. So, fight for customer service, it might pay off. LG should not be treating customers the way they are, so head up to the top. I spent at least 15 minutes on the phone in silence with a "customer service" rep because she refused to transfer my call. She said she was unwilling to transfer my call and would be letting me go. I asked her if she was hanging up on the customer and then what time she got off, because we were going to be on the phone until she transferred me higher up. We literally sat in silence for 15 min. They are stubborn and you have to be just that and more. Good luck to all of you that have been ripped by LG (12/05/2008)

By Follow up

LG Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Reviews

I guess I was fortunate. Mine lasted almost 4yrs. I had an extended warranty that doesn't over broken plastic or the rust on my "stainless steel" freezer door. (02/10/2009)

By mglas

LG Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Reviews

The reason the interior light stays on and melts the plastic, is due to LG not installing the thermostat that turns the light off if it gets too hot. The tech told me when they replaced one of these lights that melted, the new light has a sensor that turns the light off so it will not get too hot. He said that the light they installed at the factory also had a place for this safety device but LG did not install them. This was probably done to save LG money. (03/04/2009)

By front_end_loader