GardeningHome and Garden

Label and Catalog Your Flowers

A lot of my labels faded before I knew it. In time, I had no idea which flower was which. I remedied that by making labels from vinyl siding and using an industrial permanent Sharpie.

Making Permanent Plant Markers

Now as my iris bloom, I give them a name/number. I take a picture, as well. The same data on the label will be the title for the picture which will be stored on my computer. The word "pic' will appear on the label to indicate there is a picture of the flower on the computer.

As they continue to bloom, I hope to share the pictures here. I have a new camera. But of course, the camera is no better than the photographer. I learn as I go.

The type of iris pictured here is termed a 'two-tone'. The 3 upright petals are called 'standards' and the 3 procumbent petals are called 'falls'.

Anonymous

great idea! what kind of camera did you buy?I am looking for a good one ,not too expensive for myself.

I bought a Fujifilm s9900w from Amazon. I paid $200.00 for it. I believe it is worth the money. Now, the price is $349.00. It is not worth that much. If you are not in a hurry, you might can get it for $200.00 as the price keeps going up and down.

I just took this with it.

Click on this picture so it will blow up.You will see that it is pretty good.

For anyone who does not know: You can left click on the smaller pictures in replies and see a larger version with better color and more detail.

Nice pics and good idea as plants are difficult to keep up with - some come and go so fast.
Sounds like you got a good deal on the camera.
Betty

I believe I have this iris as well, called "Wabash".
What I do is MAP. I take a picture of its location with it in it. Use edit. Circle . US a watermark program and type in comments. But apps are free on android.
I then make my on labels by cutting strip from the toughest bags I find -- the dig food bags from Orijen, or Zignature. I then cut ends to make arrow and other end to poke that thru. I use cheep plastic forks and will stamp those into the found next to it. Or just attach the strip to a limp . It all depends if the plant dies back like the iris. So I'd use the butt-end of the fork into the ground with the strip label held fast my the forks head.. at the front of the plant. Take a pic.

I keep a hard copy doc of each and every plant. Listing: characteristics, fruit, flower, foliage, soil, size, location, care, harvest, feed info pictures and map on the doc . And that's in a page protector. In a loose leaf binder. I keep a clean copy of the pkg in the page protector. And I make notes: date, store or gift, price. Size @time and so forth. Each yr I revise and reprint. Shred old ppwk.
Keeping records, mapping, pictures and research has helped me garden better~~

Thank you. Yes, that is Wabash.