Learning Frugality

contest winner icon
I have always been a pretty frugal person, but I'm finding later in life that I don't need as much as I once thought I did. Notice I said the word "thought"? When you are young, you are led to believe that those pretty new shiny objects you see on TV or someone is wearing is something you just can't live without. You went out and bought them and enjoyed the fact you have one too. Later in life, you realize that all the money you spent on that shiny new object either was not good for you, or not worth the money you paid for it. And on top of that, you don't even like it or it is worn out and out of date or you gave it away years ago.

There is one thing I have learned that you can have, doesn't cost any money, and when you give it away it benefits everyone. That something is knowledge. Learning how to make something yourself instead of going out and buying the commercial version is so much more rewarding than just handing over hard earned money for it. And when you share the knowledge of a craft, recipe, or information and ideas to save that hard earned money you share a gift far more valuable than what money can buy. You enable someone to make that product again and again. What is the old saying: "Take a starving man a fish and he eats for a day, but teach him to fish and he eats for a lifetime". This is true in everything we do. This is what I have learned through my lifetime.

I enjoy life more today than ever. I am a crafter, I sew, I make my own convenience mixes and spice mixes. If there is a way to make it as opposed to buying a commercial version, I will make it myself! This is not from a book, this is experience talking. I encourage everyone to make something.

I loved your post! You are so right, we'll buy things we think we need, then realize we didn't need them at at all.

I totally agree that homemade gifts are better than store bought as well. I hope you win, you are one smart cookie!

You are so right! Great advice!

I sew, mostly for therapy, but I've found that in the last 20 years or so, I can buy my clothes more cheaply off the rack than I can make them. The price of patterns, fabric, notions, etc., plus my time, adds up. I buy from catalogs and watch for sales.

A wise lady. With age comes wisdom. I spent many years accumulating "things". At a certain age we downsized and retired and I gave away mostly all those 'things'.

Who needs a china cabinet full of dishes that are never used but still need to be washed. Now I spend my leisure time enjoying slow paced things like reading, music, visiting, and reflecting on how those 'things' were so unimportant.

Thanks for sharing, I agree!! I would like to ask you if you have ever found a nice mixture of spices for meat,when you want to make homemade sausage! I would love to hear from you. I like the idea of sage but what else I'm not sure!!
Dianna

I am also at the age I must downsize. I put something in the Goodwill box, only to go back out in the garage to bring it back. I have given away things that the very next day I wish I had it for a good reason.

But it feels so good to see a room with only a few pretty decorated items instead of dozens that need dusting. If you don't have adult kids that need your things, it is a good idea to start giving then to friends and neighbors now, because your kids will just toss everything in a dumpster. I've seen that happen. Good post Sandy.

For years we bought reasonably I thought then we lost so many things. I started to have fun with what was left and now 10 years later still having fun by reuse repurpose or recycle with the help of using a computer. Today I will make doggie biscuits with peanut flavor as my great grandkids have a dog. He waits at the door with the kids to see his treats too. Things no longer get thrown just because they are Xmas toys or others. Now they help me repurpose and are discovering another way to life.

When I think of the people I knew, who have passed, I don't remember what they had , but how they treated me. I remind myself of that frequently. Great post.