Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
I bought poppy seeds and am trying all kinds of recipes with them. These muffins are delicious and different.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
Total Time: 28 minutes
- ½ cup + 1 Tbsp. pure cane sugar (I used Splenda)
- 2 medium lemons
- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour or regular whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup poppy seeds
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. fine-grain sea salt
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled (I used coconut oil)
- ¾ cup plain yogurt (plain Greek yogurt works, too)
- 1-2 large eggs (I used one)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp turbinado sugar for sprinkling on top (I did not do this)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease your muffin pan using butter or non-stick cooking spray (silicone baking cups eliminate the need for this step).
- Combine the sugar and lemon zest in a medium mixing bowl.
- Whisk in the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter, yogurt, egg, vanilla and the juice of one lemon.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients. Use a large spoon to mix the two together. Do not overmix.
- Divide batter evenly between the 12 muffins cups.
- Sprinkle the muffins with turbinado sugar, if using.
- Bake for 16 to 19 minutes, until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!