Let Dough Rise In Warm Sun

I like to bake my own bread because I know exactly what is in it. During the summer, the dough doesn't rise as well, because my air conditioning makes it cool in my house. Yesterday, the obvious hit me! DUH - put the dough out in the sun! I covered the bowl with plastic wrap and sat it on the porch in the sun. That worked like a charm! I can't believe I didn't think of it before!

By sewgeek from Florence, KY

About 30 years ago I started setting in on top of my car in the southern sun driveway. Cover with clear plastic as Tupperware cover would POP off and let flies in. Also have used my dishwasher drying cycle. Now that I have a new dishwasher with digital, I can't dial it to the dry only. No dial! But that raised a lot of bread.
I live in a 100 yr old house with lots of drafty areas and so the dishwasher is a constant. Another thing now is to set my pans on top of the chest freezer. Little warmth, up away from kids and dog, cover with large white cotton/muslin dishtowels.

I just baked some bread and as its cold inside and a lovely day outside I put the bread in a covered bowl in my car where it is nice and warm. the dough rose in no time. JuneD ( South Africa)

I have a black vehicle and no matter what you do it is going to be very hot inside of it during the summer. Sit your dough on the seat (on a towel) and your bread will rise in less than half the time.

I got sourdough herb bread out in the sun. Can get real hot on the deck. Have to keep a eye on it.

I've done sourdough cinnamon rolls by the window sun. 80f.to 90f.

One time I used the coffee pot to rise the bread. Placed the bowl on a hot pad. Covered the bowl with a towel. It worked great.
In winter the bread bowl goes in oven, with iron kettle of hot water under it. Then change hot water every hour or so. That's sourdough bread. Sun job today took 4 hours in sun. Water, bread flour, salt, couple handfuls of fresh picked basil, 1g of Italian seasoning, 1g dried basil leaves. Sprinkle some 9 grain on top.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingJuly 23, 2010
🐛
🌻
😎
📓