Loghouse Hexagon Quilted Hot Pad
Made from scrap strips of fabric.
Total Time: 1 to 2 hours
Link: How to Sew a Hexagon Log Cabin - Candle Mat, Mug Rug, Coaster, Quilt Block, Quilt, and More
- fabric strips
- sewing machine
- rotary cutter
- plastic quilting ruler
- Using a hexagon template, cut out a hexagon (I found a hexagon shape online) from one of the print scraps. Then, cut out four strips measuring 2 by 4 inches. Next cut out 4 strips measuring 2 by 6 inches.
- To assemble the potholder, design the strips around the hexagon with the correct order of fabric prints. Do this for round one and round two.
- For the first round, place one 4 inch strip on one side of the hexagon. Fold the strip in half and pin to the side of the hexagon. Sew from the middle to the end of the side of the hexagon. Press. Cut fabric at the end to leave a straight side for the next strip.
- Line up the second strip and pin. Sew. Press. Cut excess fabric at the end to leave a straight side for the next strip. Continue until you have sewn all of the six strips. For the last strip on this round, push the first strip away from the sixth strip and sew and end the seam at the beginning of the seam which you sewed on the first strip. Press.
- Using a rotary cutter and plastic quilting ruler, even up the sides of the hexagon. (If you don't have these supplies, you could use a ruler, a pencil, and scissors to achieve the same outcome.)
- For the second round, repeat the steps of the first round, using the 6 inch strips.
- Lay the finished hexagon on top of a piece of batting and cut. Repeat this step for a backing for the potholder. Lay the batting to the wrong side of the backing and the backing to the right side of the hexagon. Pin all the way around, leaving a 4 inch opening on one of the sides of the hexagon. Sew. Clip corners. Turn.
- Fold in the opening and pin. Sew the opening closed by hand or you can machine top stitch around all of the edges of the hexagon.
- Quilt the top of the potholder as desired. I sewed along each of the seam lines.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.